Do stringers(for a deck) have to be secured @ the bottom???
Somewhat of a f/u to my stair splaying thread from earlier..

The deck is approx 4 ft off the ground and stringer runs will be close to 12".  Can I secure them to the deck and let them rest on a pad at the bottom, or so I need to attach them to the pad as well?

I think I do, but I checked our basement steps (which do down a full floor) and they're not secured to the floor. 

I would feel better pouring a pad, putting in some lag bolts and then securing the stringers (via a 2x4 notched into each stringer) to the pad, but is it necessary?  The deck's in CT, if that matters.

(In any event, the stringers will be secured to each other via the 2x4 I'll notch in)
Dumber than I appear
(09-02-2020, 12:33 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Somewhat of a f/u to my stair splaying thread from earlier..

The deck is approx 4 ft off the ground and stringer runs will be close to 12".  Can I secure them to the deck and let them rest on a pad at the bottom, or so I need to attach them to the pad as well?

I think I do, but I checked our basement steps (which do down a full floor) and they're not secured to the floor. 

I would feel better pouring a pad, putting in some lag bolts and then securing the stringers (via a 2x4 notched into each stringer) to the pad, but is it necessary?  The deck's in CT, if that matters.

(In any event, the stringers will be secured to each other via the 2x4 I'll notch in)

By me (in the Chicago burbs) as long as the stairs go straight with no landings, turns, etc., you do not need to fasten them at the bottom.  I would at minimum set some pavers at the bottom to land them on.  Are they coming down close to a wall / the house, or sticking out in the middle.  If sticking out, then I probably would anchor them.
Time is not measured by a watch, but by moments.
Going through this now. Our county (in MD) requires that steps are lag bolted on two "mini" footers a minimum 12"x12"x12". I went ahead and dug them 30" deep. Might want to check your county codes.

I think having them anchored and bolted should make the lower rail posts much more secure. That's assuming you are installing handrails at that height.
(09-02-2020, 01:38 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Going through this now. Our county (in MD) requires that steps are lag bolted on two "mini" footers a minimum 12"x12"x12". I went ahead and dug them 30" deep. Might want to check your county codes.

I think having them anchored and bolted should make the lower rail posts much more secure. That's assuming you are installing handrails at that height.

I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

I usually pour a 4" pad with a slight pitch to it to shed water.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay