Trash pumps for fighting fires
I don't live in an area that is subject to threats of fire, but I did give this some thought a while back. 

I suspect that a constant drip over the roof of a house would give substantial protection from fire.  A perforated pipe on the ridge of a home could easily accommodate this.  The amount of flow would be dictated by the humidity and temperature, but I suspect that a solar panel would be sufficient for the moderate flow required. 

The issue being that when the fires get bad, that electric power will be interrupted.  So an external power source would be required.  A swimming pool would provide over 10,000 gallons.  And might be a source for water.  A well would also.

Of course the roof is not the only way a fire could start.  Walls too.  So a drip pipe for the walls would also be a good ideal. 

If the heat gets intense glass will shatter and embers could enter the house anyway.  That is not an argument against making preparations.  

That being said, the NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) makes these recommendations:

https://www.nfpa.org//-/media/Files/Fire...dfires.pdf

3. ROOFING AND VENTS Class A fire-rated roofing products, such as composite shingles, metal, concrete, and clay tiles, offer the best protection. Inspect shingles or roof tiles and replace or repair those that are loose or missing to prevent ember penetration. Box in eaves, but provide ventilation to prevent condensation and mildew. Roof and attic vents should be screened to prevent ember entry.

4. DECKS AND PORCHES Never store flammable materials underneath decks or porches. Remove dead vegetation and debris from under decks and porches and between deck board joints.

5. SIDING AND WINDOWS Embers can collect in small nooks and crannies and ignite combustible materials; radiant heat from flames can crack windows. Use fire-resistant siding such as brick, fiber-cement, plaster, or stucco, and use dual-pane tempered glass windows.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-12-2020, 05:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've always been going to take a trailer, say one of a pickup bed trailer, and mount a 500g tank in it along with a gas powered water pump. 100' hose, maybe 1", and keep it filled in the simmer for those type of emergencies. We are out in the boonies....woods...pastures that get dry grass...

But, I've never got it done.

that's what I did 3-4 years ago.

this year was the first time I filled up the tank, since one of the fires here got to within 3 1/2 miles of our place.

we have a relatively easy to defend place, flat ground surrounded on 3 sides with green grass and the 4th side with gravel.  only 1 tree near the house, given enough warning, we can flood water the front yard and the pasture behind the house.

I think, as long as the winds weren't going crazy, we could defend our place from fire.   if the tall Eucalyptus trees a 1/4 mile from our place caught fire and the wind was blowing, we'd get embers spreading like crazy we might not be able to.  But I'm going to stay and fight as long as I can.  

Talking to people that stayed and fought the fire near us, they all said the same thing, the fire was manageable, the smoke not so much.  They had more trouble dealing with the smoke than the fire.  Not sure what to do about the smoke part.  Doesn't seem like a N95 mask would help for long.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark