Need a clear switch cover
A two speed toggle switch controls the whole house fan but I want to protect it from curious fingers. The toggle is too tall to fit under a plastic switch guard so I'm looking for a clear case that can sit over it like you those clear thermost covers. I'm coming up empty with Google.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks
Paul
Why not use a locking thermostat cover?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Sounds like a co2 laser project. You check thingiverse by chance?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(09-16-2020, 06:20 PM)blackhat Wrote: Why not use a locking thermostat cover?

I see the local HD has some in stock.  It's bigger than I'd like but if it works, something else I can check off the list.
I installed a Masterlock switch lock cover (red) after my house cleaner accidentally turned off the furnace instead of the basement light (they are adjacent to each other).  I don't use the padlock, but it prevents accidental switching.  Just $9.00 from Amazon.com.

[Image: 14047.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-16-2020, 05:34 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: A two speed toggle switch controls the whole house fan but I want to protect it from curious fingers.  The toggle is too tall to fit under a plastic switch guard so I'm looking for a clear case that can sit over it like you those clear thermost covers.  I'm coming up empty with Google.

Thanks
Paul

There are 'in use' covers designed for outdoor electrical outlets.  they have room under them for plugs plugged into the outlets.  one of these might work.

If the toggle switch has 3 positions, High-Off-Low, then replace it with a duplex single-pole/three-way wall switch and outdoor switch cover.  The single-pole half gets wired to the Line (input) of the three-way, and the two output poles of the three-way go to the two leads for the motor (high and low speed).

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Leviton-5241...2fdf15d0a4

Oops. Wrong cover. Gotta go find the right one now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HLZJ7ND/ref...WNrPXRydWU=

This cover seems to have the recess for a snap action switch, though it's not specifically listed for that. But it sure looks like it will accept a duplex wall switch. This is a 5-pack, but you may be able to find the same thing in a single pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G4G7HPD/ref...ljaz10cnVl
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-16-2020, 05:34 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: A two speed toggle switch controls the whole house fan but I want to protect it from curious fingers.  The toggle is too tall to fit under a plastic switch guard so I'm looking for a clear case that can sit over it like you those clear thermost covers.  I'm coming up empty with Google.

Thanks
Paul

I have a whole house attic fan.  I added a timer to the switch so that the fan would come on 30 minutes before I got home.  It was an improvement as it cooled the attic and house in time for me to get home.  At that time I would either leave it on or turn on the A.C.

I few years back I replaced it with a thermostat and that is much better.  It has about a 4 degree spread for on/off which is larger than ideal, but still an improvement.  Sometimes at night I end up under the  covers waiting for the thermostat to cycle off.  If you set it on 72 degrees it will cycle off at 68 degrees and come on at 74 degrees.  But it is the best I could find. 

Don't use the thermostats designed for attic ventilation as they have a 15 degree spread and you won't like that.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Determine the throw of the switch. Buy a PVC coupling with an ID just larger than the throw. Silicone seal the coupling in place on the cover. Paint as desired. Use a small screwdriver or ??? to reach inside and toggle the switch.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Google: Wall Switch Cover

I see these in homes.

This one covers the switch and you can still flip it with the eraser end of a pencil

Child proof switch lock
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay