Building out of Construction Lumber
    I bought the lumber probably last August and let it dry.  Just cut the wood to size and ready to glue up.  The original plans called for the larger sized Kreg Pocket Screw jig.  I don't want to buy another jig to build this bench.  Could this safely be built not using any pocket screws?  Maybe making a jig or clamping it in parts?  I would likely preglue the end grain portions of the joints.

I would also consider using some exposed bolts along the angled cross brace.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Using only glued butt joints will not end in happiness. You can use dowels, floating tenons, or screws; but you will need something. Half lap joints would have worked as well, but you already have things cut.

You do not need a jig to cut pocket screw holes. It just makes it easier. You could also drill holes from the other side, drive screws and plug the holes.
If it were me, I would use regular and long pocket hole screws.  Definitly use more than the plans suggest.  And I like to use the plugs to fill the holes.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I would have done the stretchers with half-lap and/or M&T joints.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(05-15-2021, 06:11 PM)photobug Wrote: I bought the lumber probably last August and let it dry.  Just cut the wood to size and ready to glue up.  The original plans called for the larger sized Kreg Pocket Screw jig.  I don't want to buy another jig to build this bench.  Could this safely be built not using any pocket screws?  Maybe making a jig or clamping it in parts?  I would likely preglue the end grain portions of the joints.

I would also consider using some exposed bolts along the angled cross brace.

Only solution -- the larger Festool Domino
Big Grin . Realistically, maybe larger dowels or loose tenons cut by other means? The tricky part would be making the holes/mortise angles line up.
(05-16-2021, 09:01 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I would have done the stretchers with half-lap and/or M&T joints.

Agree. You are making a bench with (sorry but it is true) low grade materials and substandard technique. What do you expect the result to be?

Even if you have no experience with true woodworking joinery, please employ some when the opportunity faces you like this. You will improve your skills and the projects will be better for it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure