Hearing protection with music - recommendation?
Hey,

I’d like to get a good set of earmuffs for hearing protection that have music capabilities. Bluetooth is probably a must, and radio would be nice. Of course, I also want decent protection while using the table saw, jointer, lawn mower, etc.

Anyone have recommendations of ones they like? I’m willing to pay extra (within reason) for something nice.

Thanks,
Tyler
My first suggestion is to try Comply T-100 earbud tips to any headphones that you currently have.

These are memory foam earbud tips, and if the correct size is ordered to fit your ears the noise reduction is exceptional.

Correct fit is essential for:

1.  Comfort
2.  Retention in the ear
3.  Noise reduction

Everyone's ear is different.  This is not a "one size fits all" option. 

I have One More Triple Driver earbuds, which is quite possibly the best earbuds you can get for under $100.00.   It comes with several earbud tips but only one foam version.  The foam version is not up to the sound reduction levels as the Comply T-100 earbud tips. 

Each type of earbuds requires a specific type of earbud tip.  Make sure you get the correct one.  Comply has a cross reference list.  I think you will need to replace the original  tips as they did not offer good retention in my ears.

Here is a review of the earbuds:  https://www.cnet.com/reviews/1more-tripl...es-review/

Here is a review of the T-100 ear tips:  https://toomanyadapters.com/comply-foam-tip-review/

Note that Comply makes ear tips that are not noise isolating, so you want to look for the noise isolating versions which I believe is the T-100 option.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-17-2020, 08:42 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey,

I’d like to get a good set of earmuffs for hearing protection that have music capabilities. Bluetooth is probably a must, and radio would be nice. Of course, I also want decent protection while using the table saw, jointer, lawn mower, etc.

Anyone have recommendations of ones they like? I’m willing to pay extra (within reason) for something nice.

Thanks,
Tyler
3m worktunes
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Ion Tough Sounds headphones. Built in radio and Bluetooth.

I use them in my shop.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Only my router makes enough noise to concern me.

I find over the ear head phones uncomfortably hot in the warm months and just plain uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of wearing them.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
+1 on the 3M Worktunes. They're good enough to use as shooting muffs. I only use them for radio, but they do have Bluetooth capability so you can play whatever you want through your phone.
Thanks for the thoughts. I had been looking at the 3M Worktunes, and they look decent. I’ll take a look at the Ion ones too.

Cooler, that’s some great info, but I’d like to stick to cordless for garage work. I’ve used earbuds under my current earmuffs, which works decently well, but I find that the cord snags on things a bit too much. The T-100 tips look like a great addition to my general use earbuds though. Earbud tips never seem to fit my ears quite right, so it may be a great solution for that.

Tyler
I use 2 setups. One if I’ll need to use heavy noise protection for an extended period of time (usually heavy planer or router table usage) and another if I just need it sporadically. For the former I use my Bose qc35 earmuffs. And for sporadic use (which is most of the time) I use AirPods Pro (which have anc) under regular nc earmuffs and just take the earmuffs off when I don’t need them. I find AirPods much more comfortable (over the Bose) for extended use and does quite well at blocking out things like a sander or tablesaw But not quite good enough for planer and router. I realize these that these are kind of pricey options but I didn’t buy them specially for woodworking. It was just a happy coincidence that they worked.
I would not recommend anything that has the capability of listening to music or the radio while operating machinery. Know several guys who did   or still do that, but they will admit-- I think it is a valid concern -- that it is too easy to become distracted and not pay attention to what you are doing.
Tyler, I’ll be the Killjoy here .... you may wish to add in the cost of a SawStop as well if you want music or chat in your earmuffs.
Smile

I listen to music in my workshop, but it is only through speakers, and never a headset. I use earmuffs when running machines, and work without them. when using (unpowered) hand tools. I only hear the muted machine when running a machine. Divided attention is what leads to accidents.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com