keyless chuck removal
(09-18-2020, 04:02 PM)arnman Wrote: Doh!  I have one of those already!  I will give that a try after hitting the end with the screwdriver/hammer.

Use it first . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just getting lithium batteries may not work unless your charger will charge them, as i understand it that's not always the case. Regardless, you have the tool you need to remove the chucks, those handheld impact drivers are very effective. Seems like i did what Diesel Dennis suggested once to remove a chuck, and it worked just fine. It did (as I recall) shear the inner screw...but who cares?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The impact screwdriver recommended by Admiral worked! It is too bad the chuck threads are the wrong size to use on the old Port-Align drill guide I wanted to use. Oh well.
Steve
(09-20-2020, 08:18 PM)arnman Wrote: The impact screwdriver recommended by Admiral worked!  It is too bad the chuck threads are the wrong size to use on the old Port-Align drill guide I wanted to use.  Oh well.

Good for you; I've always found it handy for my purposes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-19-2020, 05:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Just getting lithium batteries may not work unless your charger will charge them, as i understand it that's not always the case. Regardless, you have the tool you need to remove the chucks, those handheld impact drivers are very effective. Seems like i did what Diesel Dennis suggested once to remove a chuck, and it worked just fine. It did (as I recall) shear the inner screw...but who cares?

I think Ryobi was one of the few if only manufacturers that designed their tools so that they could be run from either nicad or lithium.  A little while back I got an adapter to try and run my older Bosch 14.4 tools off the newer 18v lithium batteries.  https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7336966  Results were mixed.  I think the lithium battery smoked the motor on my jigsaw, but it seems to do fine with the drills and impactor. https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7338046  

Since then I have gotten more of the newer 18v tools, but still have a couple of the 14.4 or 18v including a hammer drill that I got as part of a 50 dollar used tool purchase.
Why would the tool care where it's electricity came from? Whether it be a NiCad or lithium battery or from a wall wart. Volts is volts.

If the adapter you purchased doesn't have a transformer inside, then it's sending 18V into a 14.4V motor. Not a great thing to do.

I'm not as sure about the different battery chargers.
(09-25-2020, 12:10 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Why would the tool care where it's electricity came from?  Whether it be a NiCad or lithium battery or from a wall wart.  Volts is volts.  

If the adapter you purchased doesn't have a transformer inside, then it's sending 18V into a 14.4V motor.  Not a great thing to do.  

I'm not as sure about the different battery chargers.

I decided to pick up a new drill / combo set.  I am also trying to sell the old 12v tools locally (2 drills, 2 flashlights, 1 impact driver).  With my extremely low price, I can't believe I don't have any takers yet.  I just can't bear the thought of throwing them away.

Does anyone have any practical shop-related ideas for the motors?  Using a plug-in wall wart might open up some possibilities.
Steve
Instead of cannabalizing my old drills, I sold them (3 or 4 for $10). They're good enough for non-woodworkers and vacation cabin owners etc. Giving them a second life made me feel good.

One day if and when I upgrade all my festool drills, of course, the asking prices would be higher.

Simon
(09-18-2020, 04:07 PM)iclark Wrote: Can't you rebuild the batteries with lithium batteries? Alternatively, perhaps they make replacement lithium batteries for that Makita tool series.

Not really.    And even if you could, your charger wouldn't charge them safely.

The sun has set on rebuilding batteries since the introduction of LiIon packs.   It just doesn't make financial sense at this point in time.
I agree.

Buy a new lithium battery & charger set of your chosen flavor.

Buy a cheaper adapter. One adapter per tool. Leave the adapter in the tool.

Move on with life and smile that you now have better batteries in every way for considerably less dollars per amp hour.