?? For house painters
I really don’t like 4” brushes. I’ve probably done 100+ houses and been on crews of plenty more houses. The problem with 4” brushes is they are made so thin that the bristles fold over easy and they don’t rebound back. You end up with a ducktail in warm weather. Then the bristles develop memory, IMO. My favorite exterior brush is a 3.5” oval shape with a hollow center. Holds lots of paint and more bristles that resist folding over in a hot heap of paint. When the bristles don’t spring back or have any muscle, it’s hard to brush back and forth quickly using the energy needed to paint fast. A 4” is ok if spraying and back brushing or using stain.

@Randy C - I used to do all my painting now I leave it to the pros. Just like drywall, its one DIY project I am happy to write a check for!!

I've got painters here right now painting my metal office building.

I asked them about brushing after spraying his answer was "are you kidding?".

He sprayed my house about 15 years ago Hardie board siding.  Never used a brush, not an issue anywhere.
I think they use that new “brushless” paint.
VH07V  
When I painted houses inside I would spray and no need to brush or roll
I have painted 1 house - 2 times. I have read the various methods and tools used. Forget all that - the tool to use is no secret weapon,it is the prosaic pad painter. The pad painter is low cost(complete setup is less than $25),the pad is available in various naps to suit the area to be covered, the pad covers a wide swath, holds lots of paint and unlike a brush can be installed at the end of a 8 to 10 foot extension ,ergo less time moving and climbing a ladder and no spatter if one tries to use a roller on an extension.
BTW, the pad is also great for painting ceilings. The one disadvantage is some paint retailers don't give pads  prime space on the  shelf or advise people about them!
So, give it a try. I think once you try it you will see why I am so enthused about  the prosaic but great paint pad!
Pete, the once in while painter.
Weanie roller with a good nap can put paint on very quickly with little fatigue to the hands.