Hardwood prices?
Like others, I've delayed buying some construction material because the prices are stupid right now.  Are hardwood prices way up as well?
(09-24-2020, 05:02 AM)KC Wrote: Like others, I've delayed buying some construction material because the prices are stupid right now.  Are hardwood prices way up as well?

I'm in the same boat with building a new deck. We are putting it off until Spring. I have to wonder if they will ever come back down when all of the rebuilding begins after the riots.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
all the rebuilding because of the riots?  What sort of ridiculous propaganda are you consuming that you think that's more than a couple of boards here and there? There is far more rebuilding going on because of people driving their out-sized SUVs into buildings because they can't keep them on the road.  

Shortages are because the whole supply chain shut down for a while while people were building pandemic projects.
I went to my local hardwood dealer two weeks ago and bought stock for a project

Some stock was higher, but it was species-specific (walnut).  Red oak, poplar, and cherry seemed to be in line with last year's prices.
(09-24-2020, 05:02 AM)KC Wrote: Like others, I've delayed buying some construction material because the prices are stupid right now.  Are hardwood prices way up as well?

When I buy hw in bulk I like and trust going to Gary Green (http://woodsbygwgreen.com/) I visited his facility a few years ago and was very pleased with what I and learned. He does most (if not all) of the work by himself. I've ordered from him in the past and will continue to do so.

Jim

PS: Gary did not compensate me for this review 
Big Grin
Jim
No question that PT lumber is higher priced in my area of WNY; about 2X what it was last year.  I suspect the fires in the West are going to impact softwood prices in some areas of the country in the coming months, too.  But hardwood prices are the same.  And if anyone needs some ash come on up or over to Lewiston.  I've got some beautiful stock for $1.50/bf for 25 bf minimum.  Lots of other stuff at very competitive prices, too.  

John

On the retail market, I have no clue. Buying wholesale has been a crap shoot all summer. Seems to be a decent supply but prices are creeping upward... I secured about 1200 feet of cherry and 600 feet of red oak in July and prices were about 10% higher than March. This week I put another order in for 600 feet of cherry and 500 feet of red oak....up another 8% from July.

Im done purchasing for the year, not looking foreword to spring.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(09-24-2020, 07:37 AM)EricU Wrote:  

Shortages are because the whole supply chain shut down for a while while people were building pandemic projects.

That's my take on it too. 20% less production and 20% more demand for DIY construction by folks stuck at home = way more than 20% price jump. There isn't the infrastructure / workers to suddenly boost production by 20% overnight, so you get shortages and supply / demand kicks in. 

Hardwood may not have been hit as bad because a lot is used in commercial production or exported, which has also been curtailed. So although production is down, so is demand. 

It will settle down over time as all the trees and mills are still there.
(09-27-2020, 02:24 AM)ianab Wrote: That's my take on it too. 20% less production and 20% more demand for DIY construction by folks stuck at home = way more than 20% price jump. There isn't the infrastructure / workers to suddenly boost production by 20% overnight, so you get shortages and supply / demand kicks in. 

Hardwood may not have been hit as bad because a lot is used in commercial production or exported, which has also been curtailed. So although production is down, so is demand. 

It will settle down over time as all the trees and mills are still there.

Unfortunately, that may not be true in Oregon with all the fires they're having.  

John
I passed on some simple 1X pine because of price. Asked the manager if and when he thought prices would go down. He said, "Next spring." I'm hoping he's right.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.