Hardwood flooring/plywood considered heat treated?
I need to build a shipping crate for my Big Green Egg. The shipping company will do it but then I have to pay. I can build my own crate but they require the wood to be heat treated.

The previous owners left a lot of unused oak flooring in the garage. It's probably by Bruce from HD. That stuff is kiln dried. Is that considered heat treated?

Is plywood considered heat treated?
No, don't think so.  Heat treatment is for killing bugs. To a specific temp and time.
The moving company quoted me $535 to build a crate for the Egg! The cheap 1x at HD is marked as kiln dried and heat treated so I'm about $500 ahead
(09-30-2020, 03:25 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: The moving company quoted me $535 to build a crate for the Egg!  The cheap 1x at HD is marked as kiln dried and heat treated so I'm about $500 ahead

KD construction lumber is 19% moisture.  It's not the same thing as wood treated (fumigated I think) to kill bugs so it meets international shipment requirements.  I think plywood automatically meets the standard but I'm not positive. You should be able to find what does/does not meet the standards with a little searching.  

John
(09-24-2020, 12:28 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I need to build a shipping crate for my Big Green Egg.  The shipping company will do it but then I have to pay.  I can build my own crate but they require the wood to be heat treated.

The previous owners left a lot of unused oak flooring in the garage.  It's probably by Bruce from HD.  That stuff is kiln dried.  Is that considered heat treated?

Is plywood considered heat treated?

This webpage describes heat treated wood.  Hope this sheds some light
Heat Treated
(09-30-2020, 06:12 PM)jteneyck Wrote: KD construction lumber is 19% moisture.  It's not the same thing as wood treated (fumigated I think) to kill bugs so it meets international shipment requirements.  I think plywood automatically meets the standard but I'm not positive. You should be able to find what does/does not meet the standards with a little searching.  

John

I've got a mix of 2x4s and 1x3s on this pallet.  The 2x4s have "KD-HT" stamped on them indicating they have been both kiln dried and heat treated.  The 1x3s don't have the stamp, but the big label on the pallet indicates they were KD-HT
Could you build the crated from polyethylene boards or composite decking?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-30-2020, 06:12 PM)jteneyck Wrote: KD construction lumber is 19% moisture.  It's not the same thing as wood treated (fumigated I think) to kill bugs so it meets international shipment requirements.  I think plywood automatically meets the standard but I'm not positive. You should be able to find what does/does not meet the standards with a little searching.  

John

And the rules are likely different depending on WHERE it's going. If they demand / accept a HT stamp on the wood at the destination than that's what you need. 

Thing is HT (and fumigation) both kill any bugs that were in the wood at the time. Bugs can re-infest wood later if it's not stored safely. Pressure Treated is impregnated with chemicals so should be resistant to any new bugs that come along, but no one wants to use it for packing crates because the used crate is then classed as toxic waster. Plain HT or fumigated pallets can be safely dumped / recycled into furniture / burnt as firewood etc, so not a problem to dispose of them.  

So I'd be nervous about using old unknown wood, even if it had the HT stamp. If that was 10 years ago who knows what's living in there now. If it arrives at the destination border inspection with fresh frass under it, they are going to hit you with whatever the local fumigation charges might be. 

But if you can buy fresh HT stamped wood and build your own crate, that should be fine.
(09-30-2020, 11:40 PM)Vijay Wrote: This webpage describes heat treated wood.  Hope this sheds some light
Heat Treated

Good link, Vijay. 

Per the above site, "Heat treating is essentially a form of pasteurization, during which the core temperature of wood is raised to 133 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Heat treating is necessary for wood packaging products used in shipping to stop the spread of insects and disease through international trade. Heat treating regulations are governed by the global standard HT ISPM 15 established by the International Plant Protection Convention for wooden shipping materials...

Particleboard, plywood and oriented strand board are exempt from the standard due to the fact that high temperatures are already used in their manufacture."
The movers came yesterday.  They put the Egg in the crate I built, didn't ask if it was HT or not, stuck my crate into their big crate with the rest of our stuff, and before they nailed the crate door shut, applied caulk around the perimeter (although the kid didn't have a caulk gun or manage to get a continuous bead).

On the receiving end if they don't fumigate the crates, I'm going to ask if they'll leave me the crate.  Lots of usable plywood there.