Clear Sealcoat to Amber Shellac
What are the best Trans Tint dye colors to use to change Zinsser Seal Coat into the same tone as Amber Shellac?

I know I can buy dewaxed amber shellac flakes, but I can purchase Seal Coat locally today.

What would be the best General Finishes topcoat to spray then for a bedroom dresser?
(09-24-2020, 03:03 PM)mtl Wrote: What are the best Trans Tint dye colors to use to change Zinsser Seal Coat into the same tone as Amber Shellac?

I know I can buy dewaxed amber shellac flakes, but I can purchase Seal Coat locally today.

What would be the best General Finishes topcoat to spray then for a bedroom dresser?

Dark Vintage Maple would be a good start, but you'll probably have to mix at least two to match it really well.  

[Image: 6009darkvintagemaple.jpg]

If you can spray I recommend you look at Enduro Clear Poly in whatever sheen you like.  FYI, I find all GF's products seem to be higher in sheen than stated.  Satin looks like semi gloss to me, and semi gloss pretty much like gloss.  If you can't spray, High Performance Poly brushes really well, as does EnduroVar.

John
Thanks for the info, I tried  just a few drops of  medium brown and I like the result on a test board.

I am using Glen Huey's(Bob Lang's) oak finish on QS White Oak.      

Rag on some Walnut Stain, Rag on some Dark Walnut Danish Oil, and finish with a coat of amber shellac.  I have used  this with great results, but that was a bookcase and filing cabinet.

With a dresser/tv cabinet I want more protection for the top.

I have a couple spray guns.

John I read your review of the 3-M system a few years ago and also bought one from Jeff, great spray gun.
Yeah, it's a great gun for the money, and the PPS system makes it even better.  I know I recommended you look at GF's Enduro Clear Poly, and that would still be a fine choice, but you might instead consider Target Coatings' Emtec EM-2000.  It's a WB alkyd varnish so it looks a lot like traditional varnish and should be a great choice for the finish you are looking to create.  It's also really durable. 

John
Just a little follow up.  

I decided to use General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly on my project.  The finish is excellent.  

It was a very easy product to spray.  I have sprayed General Finishes - Milk Paint, Enduro-Var, High Performance and Exterior 450 in the past

The Enduro Clear Poly is my favorite already, the  way it self levels is a dream.

Added 5% water and used a 1.2 tip, 3 coats in an afternoon, 800 sanding between coats.

The surface ended up being glass smooth, used  a QuadSpray-125WB gun because I was using my PPS gun to spray Milk Paint.
Glad to see the Clear Poly worked well for you.  It really does spray easily, and it looks great.  It's my overall favorite finish.  

John
Sealcoat's advantage is that it adheres to most substrates and since it is dewaxed, it offers excellent adhesion for subsequent coats.  But as a finish coat it seems to offer little advantage, especially if you want the amber color.

Instead, I would go directly to this:

[Image: zinsser-polyurethane-wood-finish-00704h-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-13-2020, 10:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: Sealcoat's advantage is that it adheres to most substrates and since it is dewaxed, it offers excellent adhesion for subsequent coats.  But as a finish coat it seems to offer little advantage, especially if you want the amber color.

Instead, I would go directly to this:

[Image: zinsser-polyurethane-wood-finish-00704h-64_1000.jpg]

Cooler, this ship has already left port.

John