FWW Gallery Submittal
Congrats to both of you.

This is the woodworking equivalent of getting your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(10-06-2020, 12:01 AM)Martin S. Wrote: Congrats to both of you.

This is the woodworking equivalent of getting your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

Woodnet rock stars for sure!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(09-28-2020, 07:28 PM)cputnam Wrote: Congratulations to the both of you!

Derek, I admire the way you keep your cool after Pekovich steals from you not once, but twice!

Indeed, beautiful work on both accounts!

Not to poke a wasps nest, but neither Derek nor Pekovich invented the "blue tape technique". I had a woodworking teacher in school almost 30yrs ago who used masking tape (the old yellow kind) in the same way for the same purpose.  My FIL, years later, also mentioned learning it from a professor at RIT's School of American Craftsman where James Krenov and Wendell Castle had spent some time.  Maybe Derek and Pekovich  thought of it independently and had never seen it before or maybe Pekovich did "steal" it from Derek. But neither should take credit for inventing the trick as if they conceived it into the world for the first time. At best, they should say "here's a helpful trick I've not seen before". Given that both Derek and Pekovich are such high quality craftsman and teachers, I can't see why either would waste time trying to take credit for old ideas.
(10-01-2020, 09:53 AM)SteveS Wrote: Are the door panels made from solid or veneered panels? What type of wood for the center panel is that?

The door (as well as side) panels are solid. The material is spalted Elm salvaged from a nearby residential property. It was a bit difficult to work with as it was quite fragile. But once I had it set into the door frames it ended up being fairly solid/stable