Teknatool woes - disappointed
I don't know, while I am pretty good with technology (I'm in the business end of software development for a multinational), when it comes to machines, I'm an analog guy. Good enough for my father - good enough for me, to coin a phrase. As The Man in Black once sung . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpwXEdYM10c
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-15-2020, 09:06 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Mostly not about the machine (but the OP's problem was less acute if the machine didn't have a bolt like that).

The Mac vs Windows concern is overblown...I know there're far more Windows users than Mac's in the world, meaning no one should have a problem finding a friend, neighbor, co-worker and heck, sometimes even a stranger to help out if need be. Just find someone 30 or 40 years younger than you --- they're very good with technology even if they don't have a computer degree. (I tried to set up my wireless weather control by reading the manual (written by an alien or something) and following it with no success. My eldest daughter got it done in under several minutes WITHOUT looking at anything that came with the control!)

Guys, we aren't living in the 18th c. or in a cave!

True but I'll bet quite a few people here are using drill presses 30+ years old. I'd be skeptical about finding firmware and controllers for a 30+ year old drill press. How easy is it to find replacement components for Radio Shack Color Computers? Not very I'd expect.
(10-15-2020, 05:19 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: True but I'll bet quite a few people here are using drill presses 30+ years old. I'd be skeptical about finding firmware and controllers for a 30+ year old drill press. How easy is it to find replacement components for Radio Shack Color Computers? Not very I'd expect.

The decision to buy a dp with a software component is no different than getting a CNC machine --- the buyer must weight against all related factors including obsolescence. Even analog machines run the risk of lack of spare parts that have been discontinued if it breaks down. Obviously, DVR DPes are not designed for anyone who is paranoid about updates. I am no computer expert, but fear nothing about any need for updates. After all, money can fix any related problems.

Simon
(10-15-2020, 05:19 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: True but I'll bet quite a few people here are using drill presses 30+ years old. I'd be skeptical about finding firmware and controllers for a 30+ year old drill press. How easy is it to find replacement components for Radio Shack Color Computers? Not very I'd expect.

Probably not much harder than finding replacement parts for a Delta machine from that era.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have a delta with a dc treadmill motor that was a free add on unless you count the time it took me to get the treadmill pull it apart and mount it to the drill press.

So you can make your own variable speed drill press.

I understand some folks are more interested in woodwork than fiddling with building their own machines.
I also understand that means you must think about future support.
If I were the OP, I’d consider doing what I could to find the highest ranking person at teknatool and send them links to all the threads linked above about poor customer service.

The technique that has worked for me over the years, is to keep a log of dates/times and names of people I talk to with notes about the conversation. Then when you call be extremely nice, and get the name of the person to whom you are speaking.

As you tell them the time and dates of all your attempts to resolve the issue make sure you use their name, in fact mention the name of each and every person you have spoken with, and pepper the name of current person between each mention of anyone else’s name.

If they still can’t fix the issue, very nicely ask to speak to their superior, even if that means they call the owner or ceo

Eventually you will find someone who would rather do what you want than have their name on the failed to meet expectations list that you just rattled off.
I find it interesting reading about not being able to get parts for an "analog" machine that is 30 years old on a forum where folks often repair "heirloom" furniture . . . by making replacement parts.

Yep, if someone - that one time - made it from wood, we just make another one.

You (or somebody else) can do the same thing with metal (or plastic) right?  
Wink
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(10-15-2020, 02:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I drive a car that has a computer board that I know nothing about, let alone fix it or update it if it goes south. Should I get a wagon instead?

I guess I started this discussion and maybe it's not fruitful.  But those car computers get real cheap on the used market as cars get older.  Not going to happen with a DP. Someone mentioned CNC machines, and there aren't too many of them that can't be retrofit with a more generic control if needed.  There was a while there for CNC lasers and routers that people were buying the Chinese versions and swapping out the control software immediately. I probably could make one of these DP's work with some other drive, that's true.  And there is no guarantee with other brands that you can even get simple parts that would be somewhat difficult to fabricate.  The scrapping of all the Delta parts being an example of that.
I too have a Voyager Drill press and I have had absolutely no issues with it that would make me second guess my purchase. It is for me the perfect drill press....program in the type of bit, bit size, and the material and Bob's your Uncle. It is smooth and quiet and as far as needing more capabilities, I have had it for two years and I am still trying to figure out everything this drill press can do.
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I sent a link to there office of this post/conversation... lets see if they respond or if they care?
I run a public woodshop with about 135 members, with various skill levels. I also maintain and repair the equipment. Drill Presses have been a sore spot for us for the past decade. We have had many pieces of equipment from numerous manufacturers and I have or attempted to deal with all of their customer service reps at one time or another. We started out with a Delta Drill Press but many people changing belts proved to be problematic, some of our members, either from inexperience or short stature had difficulty keeping the belts aligned properly and we had belt failure problems. This isn't an issue many people would have, I just mention it for the reason we replaced it. Older Delta equipment can be very difficult to obtain parts for as the company has been sold several times. 

We purchased a Powermatic PM2800 to replace it. I can say that hands down Powermatic has the most knowledgeable and helpful Techs if you have a problem to solve. We have a lot of Powermatic equipment in our shop, they are work horses of the sturdiest type. That being said the PM2800 drill press is currently made in China and we had to replace 2 because the did not hold up to daily use, the variable speed control has gone through at least 4 design changes that I know of and quite frankly the two models we had were worthless. The Customer service was great and we'll purchase any Powermatic tools made in Taiwan, but not made in China. We replaced our Powermatic with a Nova Voyager Drill Press.

The Nova Voyager is a great Drill Press, the best and most reliable we have had in our shop. We had the tilt issue and we solved it with a larger wrench, I agree it is an issue TT should address. But tilt difficulty isn't a equipment failure, annoying and frustrating, but solvable. I did have the occasion to call their CS once, they were polite and helpful. I am sorry for the OP's experience and I fully sympathize with him, I have been the victim of poor CS. When considering tools and equipment for our woodshop we consider durability and parts availability first and foremost, customer service is very important too. I get the concern for LED screens and computers in equipment. I admit at heart I'm a caveman and I like simple durable tools and equipment, but everything with variable speed has electronics in them and they last well, (cordless tools and chargers, routers, all power saws). 

We also have a Nova Galaxi lathe, it gets a great deal of use, some of our turners prefer it to the Powermatics we have, the Nova has several electronic features that are great for inexperienced turners. Have a catch with a lathe tool and the lathe stops, try to run an out of balance piece too fast it will stop and warn you. The Nova Drill Press and Lathe both have very smooth operation, easy speed control, no belts to wear or replace and have a great deal of power using 110 voltage. 

Personally, I consider Laguna to have the worst CS is the business right now and it's impossible to get parts for them. We have two of their bandsaws and they will be our last Laguna pieces. Try to find Laguna parts on line or directly from them, the pickings are few and far between, Powermatic and Jet parts are available everywhere. I thought I would share my experience. 

Paul
Bel Air, MD