How do you clean your saw blades
(10-22-2020, 09:52 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Got a link to that ?   

Not only was it mentioned in one of the links you provided but here it is on fine woodworking forum post number 19

https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/simple-green

You say LA's totally awesome cleaner but which one as there are more then just the one.

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/products/all-purpose/

I have had luck with cleaning up some other tough stain in clothes with LA totally awesome detergent.
(10-23-2020, 08:43 AM)KyleD Wrote: Does anyone have any empirical evidence that simple green damages saw blades? 

Not from my personal experience (over 6 years of use on 5 blades).

Simon
Quote:Simple Green, HD as recommended by SG, or regular Simple Green works just fine.

Simple Green does not recommend regular simple green.  And they don't recommend using it full strength.

Quote:Does anyone have any empirical evidence that simple green damages saw blades?
Apparently , SG does.   Here's the pertinent text from the first link, that I guess you didn't read:

However, the Kennametal Cobalt Leach Test shows that restriction should be placed on using Simple Green to clean carbide tooling. Blades should never be soaked in Simple Green, and we have never recommended that this be done.

Utilization of Simple Green at a 1:10 dilution ratio with water, sprayed on, scrubbed, and rinsed off, should not cause any damage or deterioration to carbide blades. With proper dilution and rinsing, there is not a cumulative effect of cleaning with Simple Green. Problems arise with too strong a solution being left on the carbide blade or tool for too long. Soaking should always be avoided.

In the past year (2005) Sunshine Makers, Inc. has developed and marketed a product called Extreme Simple Green. This product is a non-corrosive, non-embrittling product that has passed a variety of metals corrosion and embrittlement tests. Several of these tests are attached to this email.

I would recommend switching away from original Simple Green and choosing, instead, Extreme Simple Green. Blades can be soaked in this product without ill effect. The best dilution ratio for doing this is 1-part-Extreme to 3-parts-water. This same ratio can be used for spraying, scrubbing, and rinsing blades - or higher dilutions of as much as 1:9 can be used for this kind of application.

Quote:KyleD Wrote: Does anyone have any empirical evidence that simple green damages saw blades? 

Not from my personal experience (over 6 years of use on 5 blades).
Simon

My personal experience with oven cleaner is the same - no damage.   you can use that too.  
Rolleyes

Quote:Not only was it mentioned in one of the links you provided but here it is on fine woodworking forum post number 19

I disagree with you.   In my third link Alan paraphrases/pastes words attributed to Charles the Freud rep, but at no time does he provide a link to a forum in which Charles' signature  follows those exact words.   In my links his words with his signature advise caution, and you check with simple green directly before proceeding.   The FWW is interesting in that it pre-dates my running across this subject by 3 years.  Again with no link to the orig. source.   By 2006, Charles was not advocating Simple Green as evidenced in those NCWW posts.   Kerosene as a cleaner has been his one constant though.

Quote:You say LA's totally awesome cleaner but which one as there are more then just the one.

The orig. one.   Didn't know about the others, never seen em at the dollar store or depot.  Will be more specific in future conversations.

If regular simple green full strength floats your boat - use it.  Diluted?  Use that.

If the HD version suits you better , use that.

If oven cleaner is your fave, use that.

If coffee grounds and elbow grease make you grin ear to ear - use that to clean your blade.

If you think the "Blade Cleaner" or blade juice or whatever from, rockler, woodcraft , highland or p'tree is the bee's knees - clean away with that.

Maybe CMT Formula 2050 or Boeshield Blade and Bit is the elixir most holy to your religion?   Use that.  God knows, Boeing needs the revenue now that their plane orders are in meltdown and the ones in service are often grounded.

happy cleaning
Smirk
(10-23-2020, 01:58 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Simple Green does not recommend regular simple green.  And they don't recommend using it full strength.
I knew SG recommends the Pro HD and not soaking. I use both and with soaking, sometimes diluted sometimes undiluted. Why? I use whatever I have from the kitchen, and not always we have HD there. I don't make a trip for some HD just because I have a couple of blades to clean. I also use the solution - diluted or not - at least one more time.

For the past 6 years (if not more), I use both on three table saw blades and two miter saw blades, once every quarter or so. I don't see or expect blade damage from such infrequent cleaning. For a professional shop that needs to clean blades many many times a year. that might be a concern.

As for oven cleaner, I had to use it outdoors and the smell was bad too. Before the sawstop guy said simple green was a good alternative, it was the only thing I used.

Simon
I utilize CMT saw blade/router bit cleaner and a stiff Nylon brush designed for cleaning firearms. The combination works very well.

I found that it is best to clean the blade before the pitch, sap, and anything else builds up. Cleaning is easier and quicker too.
Electrolysis, about half an hour and it's as good as new, and you can do more than one blade at a time.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I have not read through all the replies, but there is a product that is safe to use and is very effective on grungy saw blades.

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. It is used as a laundry detergent booster. About 2 tablespoons in warm water in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. Soak the blade for a few minutes and the pitch and gunk come right off with a soft brush or rag. Very easy to clean blades with this.
(10-19-2020, 03:52 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I use CMT Bit/blade cleaner.  I take a grocery store bag: plastic with paper inside: lay the blade on the flattened bag, and spray the teeth with liberal amount of cleaner. Let it sit, take old toothbrush and scrub away. The bag makes enough of a trough to capture the liquid and soak the underside of the blade. Works great, and you fold up the bag and toss it when finished. Low tech, but it works great.

I have used the CMT and I think the Rockler branded  stuff works a lot better.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"