Tell me more about this Lath Hatchet
I don't know where else to turn to for more information on my Keen Kutter Lath Hatchet.  [attachment=30287]At least I believe it is a lath hatchet due to the broad waffling on the face, the low and thin profile, and the lack of a nail puller notch.  [attachment=30288] My question concerns the notches in the upper portion of the blade. What are they for and how are they used? I've not been able to find any other images of similar notches on a lath hatchet. I've examined them closely under magnification and I'm convince the notches are factory original.  

Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Looks more like a Shingling Hatchet.   There would have been a device at those notches that you slid to set the reveal of each coarse of wood shingles...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I believe lath hatches and shingling hatchets are very very simular i belive every one I have seen both had a v grove for removing nails shingling hatchet blades were designed to split shingles latch hatchet blades were thin designed to score lath and you would snap it at the score
I think I have even seen dry wallers use a version of those only with a smooth head not knurlled like that
(10-15-2020, 08:52 PM)oakey Wrote: I believe lath hatches and shingling hatchets are very very  simular i belive every one I have seen both had a v grove for removing nails shingling hatchet blades were designed to split shingles latch hatchet blades were thin designed to score lath  and you would snap it at the score
I think I have even seen dry wallers use a version of those  only with a smooth head not knurlled like that

Totally agree with all your points. Found some KeenKutter catalogs and all the shingling hatchets had the nail slot.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.