Electrical descaler
One brand advertised here is called scale ban. My sons plumber just installed a different brand for his new on demand boiler. I see HD has a version as well. Does anyone have any experiences with these. Seems like snake oil to me. Thanks
(10-25-2020, 07:00 PM)whatline Wrote: One brand advertised here is called scale ban. My sons plumber just installed a different brand for his new on demand boiler. I see HD has a version as well. Does anyone have any experiences with these. Seems like snake oil to me. Thanks

Yup they are snake oil. Any of those descalers or electronic water softeners etc are all junk products. Just like the magnets that claim to give you better gas mileage. Anything that is simple to install, requires no maintenance etc is all just a clever way to separate you from your money with a product that does nothing.

If you are running a tankless waterheater it's mandatory that you either have a water softener or super good water to start with. I have never been anywhere in the US that has soft water so it's a given you need a softener. 

FYI ever wonder how hotels manage to keep their bathrooms free of minerals and mold and require very little cleaning? They have a good water softener system and they use a chlorine injector to put chlorine into the water which keeps the showers clean. IMO all houses should have a similar setup. I would much rather have a little chlorine smell than the typical smell like the lake water we have here. That and I don't trust our city water. It's amazing how much garbage the treatment plant lets through into the water. Massive amounts of dirt,sand,calcium,lime,iron and who knows what else.
Thanks for the info. Our water company sends us an annual report. It may pass those limits but it’s hard on our water heater and does have ab iron taste
“use a chlorine injector to put chlorine into the water which keeps the showers clean. IMO all houses should have a similar setup.“

How does that work with septic systems? I imagine it would kill all the needed bacteria.
VH07V  
(10-29-2020, 03:23 AM)EightFingers Wrote: “use a chlorine injector to put chlorine into the water which keeps the showers clean. IMO all houses should have a similar setup.“

How does that work with septic systems? I imagine it would kill all the needed bacteria.

Couldn't tell you for sure. Septic tanks are a rare breed here as they are only out in the country. Here in order to be a city you have to provide sewage treatment so all citys have sewers and many adjoining areas do as well as they pay to tie into them. 

The injectors don't put much in and they are commonly used on well systems and some citys still use chlorine in their water supply so I don't see it being a problem. Most of the citys here have gone away from using chlorine in the water and the water quality has suffered because of it. It flat stinks allot of the time since the change.