A Gift From The Wife
Tina likes to poke around in the thrift shops and Goodwill stores to see what she can find.  She went out today to pick up a few groceries and to deliver a quilt she had made for a neighbor... 

When she came back, she had this present she picked up at the local Goodwill, for $3.  I couldn't find a brand name or mark on it yet... any suggestions where to look?  It has been repaired, although it looks like they did a very good job.  I think once I clean it up and sharpen the iron it should work.

The repair to the side of the plane, looks like someone knew what they were doing to me.

This crack in the plane mouth looks like the reason for the repair.  Doesn't look like it extends up the side.

I'll clean 'er up a bit, sharpen the iron and give 'er a trial run, and see if she shaves.  For three bucks, no loss if it's not a great plane.
I'll hang it on the wall. 
Cool  How many wives come home with Planes? 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Here is a look at the Quilt she delivered...

The old man had sold us the hutch he was going to haul to the dump, and I refinished it for Tina to use as storage in her Studio.  He was so impressed he asked her to come by and look at his recently deceased wife's sewing "stuff"  Turned out to be a 12x20 storage building packed full.  Tina told him he should sell the stuff and recover as much as he could, there was a lot there of value.

He stopped by a few weeks later, with the nine panels for a quilt his wife had cut out for their daughter before she passed and asked if Tina could possibly finish it, however she could.  He just had those few panels.  "Do What You Can." 

He was thrilled with the result.

This is the hutch... it was severely damaged by water, but I removed the damaged bottom, and tossed the doors, and the back panels, and replaced them.  I cut out the front framing for drawers and doors and replaced them with supports for shelves.  Tina painted it.  It turned out great!  She is using it for storage for Yarn and books.

Jim in Okie
You got a good woman Jim - hold her tight!  Very nice of Ms Tina to do that for your neighbor.  I know it probably meant a lot to him.

Lonnie
Great job on the quilt.

Excellent refurb on the hutch.

Deep respect for the both of ya for how well you treat your neighbors.

I believe the correct response on the plane is: "Y'all suck!"
Winkgrin 

Are there any markings on the top of the plane or on the blade/chip-breaker?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-04-2020, 06:52 PM)iclark Wrote: Great job on the quilt.

Excellent refurb on the hutch.

I believe the correct response on the plane is: "Y'all suck!"
Winkgrin 

Are there any markings on the top of the plane or on the blade/chip-breaker?

Same here Ivan !!!!!
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-04-2020, 06:52 PM)iclark Wrote: Are there any markings on the top of the plane or on the blade/chip-breaker?

Nothing on top of the plane.

I'm going to take the plane out to the shop tomorrow to clean it up, and will look for markings on the iron or chipbreaker then.  Any tips on rust removal other than scotchbrite and elbow grease?
Jim in Okie
I have had good results using Autosol and paper towels for light rust.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
First of all, as I, you married up. But then you have already related that in prior posts.

Good on Tina for finishing up that quilt. Fantastic work. No wonder she needs her own
work shop.  And I love the idea of using the cast off hutch.  Repurposed is a fine form
of recycling.

As for the plane, soak all the rusted bits, once you get it taken apart, in a vinegar bath
for a day or so. Most of it will likely brush right off after that. I have done several that
way and they came out fine.

Seems you guys are doing just fine in the new place.

Congratulations to the both of you!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I saw the last post a little late, I used some rust remover I had in the shop and a piece of fine Scotch brite.
The Iron does have a logo and some kind of name that "I" can't read, it's on there and readable to better eyes that know the various logos and brands...
I don't... 

Big Grin

The parts came out fairly clean, but I think I'll sharpen the iron up a bit, assemble the plane and take a couple test cuts.  If it's a user, I'll soak it as suggested and see how pretty it becomes.  If it cleans up real nice, I might even refinish the furniture. 
Smirk

If it's not a user, I'll leave it as is, and hang it on the wall of the shop.  NO great loss at $3.

No

So... can that logo on the iron tell anyone anything about the plane?
Good, bad? Otherwise?
thanks for looking.
jim
Jim in Okie
Looks like a McIntosh Heather.  One website (https://www.plane-dealer.com/no-2-size?l...m-ino1v2jh) says that they were made for McIntosh Heather Hardware in Cleveland.  Here's another picture of it that shows the logo on the iron: https://www.plane-dealer.com/no-2-size?l...m-ino1xldv.

Jim Bode has a 5C for sale (https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/ra...rare-90210) and says that it might be a Stanley Casting.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.