Where to buy a round?
I'm looking for a round plane with a radius about 3/8". Aside from eBay or lucking out on the Swap and Sell section here, where is a good place to look? Want used and inexpensive.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-09-2020, 07:55 PM)Aram Wrote: I'm looking for a round plane with a radius about 3/8". Aside from eBay or lucking out on the Swap and Sell section here, where is a good place to look? Want used and inexpensive.

Thanks.

Shoot him an email and let him know what you are looking for  http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm   Sanford Moss,    He found some snipes bill planes for me at a fantastic price, and his terms are old school.  You confirm the order, he ships it to you,  you inspect, and if you like, you pay.    It is great to see that people can still operate that way - all based on trust.
(11-09-2020, 08:21 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Shoot him an email and let him know what you are looking for  http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm   Sanford Moss,    He found some snipes bill planes for me at a fantastic price, and his terms are old school.  You confirm the order, he ships it to you,  you inspect, and if you like, you pay.    It is great to see that people can still operate that way - all based on trust.

Thank you
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

https://msbickford.com/currently-available/

Talk to this guy, he can make you one.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
When I first saw the title of this thread....I was thinking " The Local Pub"?     then I found out it was about a hand plane, and not a free pint of Guinness...drat.
No

Most antique stores around here have at least a few Hollows & Rounds sitting around  (1/4" one is sitting downtown from me..$10)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Sorry if this is mansplaining. I think you are looking for a #6 R. When you search or ask for moldies, it helps to speak the language. And that's a plane with a convex sole that makes a concave feature.
(11-10-2020, 10:33 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Sorry if this is mansplaining.  I think you are looking for a #6 R.  When you search or ask for moldies, it helps to speak the language. And that's a plane with a convex sole that makes a concave feature.

Thank you. I don't generally use molding planes, and I don't know the terminology. That helps.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(11-10-2020, 10:33 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Sorry if this is mansplaining.  I think you are looking for a #6 R.  When you search or ask for moldies, it helps to speak the language. And that's a plane with a convex sole that makes a concave feature.

The number is the number of 16th's of an inch radius of the cutter.  So, a #6 is a 6/16 of an inch or 3/8 inch radius.  Hollows and rounds are generally purchased or acquired in pairs, because as a pair, you can create a well-proportioned ogee profile.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to use them.  Roy Underhill even had an episode or two on how to create mouldings.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-10-2020, 05:22 PM)AHill Wrote: The number is the number of 16th's of an inch radius of the cutter.  So, a #6 is a 6/16 of an inch or 3/8 inch radius.  Hollows and rounds are generally purchased or acquired in pairs, because as a pair, you can create a well-proportioned ogee profile.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to use them.  Roy Underhill even had an episode or two on how to create mouldings.

The pair thing makes no sense to me. First time I read that was in Michael Dunbar’s seminal text “restoring tuning and using classic hand tools”. He recommended always buying matching pairs. Years after reading the book, I ran into Mike (what a thrill) in a Williamsburg conference and asked why he wrote that. He didn’t have a good answer. I wondered if it was that you could use one to clean up the other.

Otherwise, ogees et al don’t care and often look better to me with smaller rounds.
(11-10-2020, 09:23 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: The pair thing makes no sense to me. 

Especially if you need one convex plane, to shape a certain feature on drawer pulls.
Best,
Aram, always learning