Garage Door Oops
Tongue 
Last week, the manual rollup door on the storage side of the 48' wide x 20' deep metal building I use for my woodshop/storage broke.  One of the leading wheels popped out of the track, both cables jumped off the pulleys, and the tensioning spring violently unwound.  A catastrophic failure in a couple seconds.  The door was rolling down, bound, then a loud violent noise and the door slammed down.  Luckily my feet were clear. 
No

How many realize how heavy that door is with any mechanical assistance?  Raise your hands! 
Big Grin

I looked at the door from inside, and realized I had never given their operation much thought.  I sent inside and watched several good videos on resetting the cables, and tensioning the spring.  I called a local company and they said they could come out and do it for $78.  Head out.  They scheduled the call for Monday. (Today)

Last Friday, the repairman called and said he had an open slot, could he come on out.  
Big Grin
Great news.  They showed up within the hour.  Not only did they reset the cables and retension the spring, but tightened every piece of hardware on the door and lubed the whole system.  The door can be opened and closed with two fingers.

When I asked what I owed them, he looked surprised.  "$78"
 "For all that extra work?"
 "We've always done it that way."

I know who I will call when I need service on the other doors.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Stories like that are all to rare these days. Hell, I'd have to call 4 companies and hope one  of them was willing to do the job.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Dang good deal on the door service, my local company charges $90 for a service call, I thought that was a good price.

Ed
I guess they all know their services will eventually be needed again and want to be the ones that get "the call"...Actually a good business model for someone trying to stay in business rather than make a killing and move on...
And yes, I too found out how heavy a GD is, when a coil spring fractured...I had no idea at the time...
I've been contemplating having an opener put on one of my 10x10 doors, where I now park the good car. It would entice the wife to drive it in more often than she does now.

Wonder what a reliable brand is, and whats the expected life span of openers now.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-16-2020, 05:06 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've been contemplating having an opener put on one of my 10x10 doors, where I now park the good car. It would entice the wife to drive it in more often than she does now.

Wonder what a reliable brand is, and whats the expected life span of openers now.

We have garage door openers on both doors on the two car garage. They are 20 years old and still work fine. Most companies provide free estimates. Can't hurt to ask.
Jim in Okie
(11-16-2020, 09:22 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Last week, the manual rollup door on the storage side of the 48' wide x 20' deep metal building I use for my woodshop/storage broke.  One of the leading wheels popped out of the track, both cables jumped off the pulleys, and the tensioning spring violently unwound.  A catastrophic failure in a couple seconds.  The door was rolling down, bound, then a loud violent noise and the door slammed down.  Luckily my feet were clear. 
No

How many realize how heavy that door is with any mechanical assistance?  Raise your hands! 
Big Grin

I looked at the door from inside, and realized I had never given their operation much thought.  I sent inside and watched several good videos on resetting the cables, and tensioning the spring.  I called a local company and they said they could come out and do it for $78.  Head out.  They scheduled the call for Monday. (Today)

Last Friday, the repairman called and said he had an open slot, could he come on out.  
Big Grin
Great news.  They showed up within the hour.  Not only did they reset the cables and retension the spring, but tightened every piece of hardware on the door and lubed the whole system.  The door can be opened and closed with two fingers.

When I asked what I owed them, he looked surprised.  "$78"
 "For all that extra work?"
 "We've always done it that way."

I know who I will call when I need service on the other doors.

Big Grin

Thanks for sharing a story about good, professional service with a smile.
Cool
Cool
Cool

It's amazing how easy they are to open/close when the springs are properly tensioned.
My door broke 7 years ago which broke my ankle in the process getting it closed. You really dont realize how much the spring helps with the lift.

Openers should be good for 15 years. Door guy I used says it's about 10 years on a spring but depends on the frequency of opening and closing. Heard my spring break one morning and serial # indicated it was 12 years old.

Ever since my leg, I dont mess with garage doors.
Sounds like the service I got from Overhead Door in Kansas City. I used them for 25+ years.
VH07V  
This is Overhead Doors too, they were great.
Jim in Okie