LED shop lights
(11-16-2020, 02:25 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I replaced my 8 foot and 4 footers with bypass LED tubes just bypass the ballast and they are good to go.  I got mine from Green Light Depot very reasonable.  I did use 6000k and the shop is twice as bright and they come on when it is really cold in there as part of the shop is not heated.

Ditto here, I removed the ballasts and rewired the fixture (took about 20 minutes). No more waiting when the shop is cold, no more flickering.

https://tinyurl.com/y6mews6c
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(11-16-2020, 02:25 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I replaced my 8 foot and 4 footers with bypass LED tubes just bypass the ballast and they are good to go.  I got mine from Green Light Depot very reasonable.  I did use 6000k and the shop is twice as bright and they come on when it is really cold in there as part of the shop is not heated.

(11-22-2020, 09:16 AM)Scouter Wrote: Ditto here, I removed the ballasts and rewired the fixture (took about 20 minutes). No more waiting when the shop is cold, no more flickering.

https://tinyurl.com/y6mews6c

I had another 8' fluorescent fixture fail the other day.  I suspect it's the ballast; one day it was fine, the next day, not.  I was going to replace the whole fixture since I don't want to buy any more fluorescent tubes, especially 8 foot tubes.  Now the options with these bypass tubes have me thinking about going to the cited sources for LED replacements.  I also have five inop fluorescent fixtures (two-tube, four foot units) that I was going to dismantle for disposal.  Now I think I'll just take out the ballasts and buy tubes.  Going to end up improving the lighting in my utility spaces (basement, shop building, machine shed) in a cost-efficient manner.   Thanks.
(11-18-2020, 01:13 PM)WxMan Wrote: For me, in addition to light output (lumens), I'm finding that light color is nearly as important (the degrees K rating).

I tend to prefer the warm daylight colors around 3000-4000 K vice the whiter/bluer end up between 5000 and 6000.  I just feel better and I think it makes the work space more inviting.

I only get the warmer colored lights. 

I stood some daylight bulbs just long enough for them to accidentally disappear, then replaced them with warm ones.
Uhoh
(11-22-2020, 11:52 AM)WxMan Wrote: I had another 8' fluorescent fixture fail the other day.  I suspect it's the ballast; one day it was fine, the next day, not.  I was going to replace the whole fixture since I don't want to buy any more fluorescent tubes, especially 8 foot tubes.  Now the options with these bypass tubes have me thinking about going to the cited sources for LED replacements.  I also have five inop fluorescent fixtures (two-tube, four foot units) that I was going to dismantle for disposal.  Now I think I'll just take out the ballasts and buy tubes.  Going to end up improving the lighting in my utility spaces (basement, shop building, machine shed) in a cost-efficient manner.   Thanks.

You won’t be sorry. I went with the natural color range, similar to the tubes i had before, gives a truer color rendition, helpful when i am trying to match stains.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(11-16-2020, 12:05 PM)Kudzu Wrote: [Image: 173334-2858.jpg_500x500.jpg]

Was at Menards this weekend, and they had a big stack of these.  Bought two for the garage.  Holy smokes.  Very bright.  Like this:

I got some bypass tubes for my shop lights. I wish I had done it before.  I might ask for shop lights on the buy nothing club.
(11-23-2020, 09:12 AM)WxMan Wrote: Was at Menards this weekend, and they had a big stack of these.  Bought two for the garage.  Holy smokes.  Very bright.  Like this:

Those transformer lights have been on Banggood and other sites for a couple years now and they have been pushing them to the youtube crowd and other than the transformer symbol on them they are pretty good lights. So much that the big boxes are now carrying them.
Miss T put those screw in LEDs that look like mini ceiling fans shown in the OP in her new Studio.  Just unscrewed the two lightbulbs and screwed them in.  Very bright.

I ordered eight of these for my windowless woodshop, daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM9...UTF8&psc=1

They worked so well I ordered four more for the boathouse where we store the kayaks and other outdoor gear.

They are hung by chains or can be directly mounted.  I ran a box and daisy'd two together.  If one should die, unhook that assembly, plug in another.  Won't cost any more than a pair of bulbs. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(11-25-2020, 09:36 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Miss T put those screw in LEDs that look like mini ceiling fans shown in the OP in her new Studio.  Just unscrewed the two lightbulbs and screwed them in.  Very bright.

I ordered eight of these for my windowless woodshop, daylight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM9...UTF8&psc=1

They worked so well I ordered four more for the boathouse where we store the kayaks and other outdoor gear.

They are hung by chains or can be directly mounted.  I ran a box and daisy'd two together.  If one should die, unhook that assembly, plug in another.  Won't cost any more than a pair of bulbs. 
Big Grin

Thanks for posting this set.  I checked at Lowes and their "shop light" prices were pretty high.

Checked here and saw your recommendation.  Hopefully they will be here by Christmas.

Did they provide enough cord to connect all the lights?

Chuck

Edit to add: Lights arrived yesterday (12/21/2020). Easy install and very nice light color and brightness.
One more recommendation for GLD...
http://www.Greenlightdepot.com

I got 12 X 8ft 40W LED Linear Tube - Fa8 Socket - Bypass - (ETL) - tubes to replace 8’ fluorescent bulbs.
Free shipping on orders over $100.

Also got some LED Dusk to Dawn wall packs for exterior use.

Bypassing the ballast in the pre-existing fixtures is simple and fast.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.