Needing a plunge router
Another vote for the DW 621. I had mine rebuilt after it wore out, and it's been going strong ever since. The only not perfect thing is dust collection - especially under a template bushing, but I don't see a way to get a vacuum in there anyway.
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(11-21-2020, 07:46 AM)WxMan Wrote: I have the PC690 with the associated D-handle and a plunge base.  I bought it all in a kit with a bench-top router table over 20 years ago when I first decided to get into woodworking.  I decided on the 690 because it seemed like the standard-bearer router for home shops at the time and I saw Norm Abrams use that model all the time on New Yankee Workshop.

I hate the plunge base.  

- The plunge base has never been smooth to push down and the spring has a great deal of force, making for difficult minor adjustments.

- It's very easy for the barrel of the motor to get wedged into the base, making it extremely difficult to remove.  At first, I thought there might be a small burr on the motor, or inside the base, but no matter how many times I've tried to clean the mating surfaces with steel wool or even very fine emery cloth, the problem remains.

- The locking nut that secures the motor into the base can be dang-near impossible to remove at times.

My issues with the plunge base caused me to find other ways to do things, so I guess that was a "blessing in disguise."  I've never upgraded to a better plunge router; early-on I didn't really have the funds to do so, and I've become accustomed to not having an effective plunge router, so I use other means to do things.  Occasionally, I get a hankering to look at adding a Dewalt unit, or perhaps just picking up a plunge base for my Bosch 1617.
I had a PC 690 and agree, the plunge base is poor. I sold it and got an 89X fixed and plunge base. The only thing I don't care for about the 890 is it's kind of tall so seems a little tippy on narrow surfaces like dovetail jigs. The plunge base is very good, it seems like the same as the DeWalt 618 plunge base but machined for a P-C motor. I'm not too concerned about P-C routers being discontinued, the only part that seems difficult to find in the future would be the switch. The variable speed has been an issue with P-C routers in the past but it's easy enough to wire around the variable speed and use an external speed control if required. Having said all this, I wouldn't buy a new P-C router even if I could find one. There are too many other good choices. One that doesn't get talked about too much is the Hitachi combo. Lowes sells them and I've played with them a little in the store, they don't seem too bad. Big Sky Tool often has refurbished Hitachi stuff for nice prices, I've bought a couple things from them. They have other refurbished brands as well but predominantly Hitachi it seems.
(11-19-2020, 11:42 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: My next couple of projects will require a good quality plunge router. Main use, for now, will be loose tenons. I would like a soft start, variable speed and smooth plunge. I will also get the fixed base. Which brands and models should I look at?

I would strongly endorse the The Bosch 1617EVS kit. The router is absolutely awesome. Soft start, powerful, ergonomic and very well built and supported. My router is probably 15 years old at this point and it is still going strong. I have both the plunge and fixed bases so it is like having 2 routers. Also, there are plenty of accessories for it.

Bosch support is absolutely great too. There was an issue with the housing. Honestly cant remember if it was magnesium or they switched it out for magnesium but Bosch did it for no charge as they knew their design was faulty. The old housing rusted. Now that i think about it, the base was magnesium and they replaced it with aluminum.
(12-03-2020, 02:59 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: I would strongly endorse the The Bosch 1617EVS kit. The router is absolutely awesome. Soft start, powerful, ergonomic and very well built and supported. My router is probably 15 years old at this point and it is still going strong. I have both the plunge and fixed bases so it is like having 2 routers. Also, there are plenty of accessories for it.

Bosch support is absolutely great too. There was an issue with the housing. Honestly cant remember if it was magnesium or they switched it out for magnesium but Bosch did it for no charge as they knew their design was faulty. The old housing rusted. Now that i think about it, the base was magnesium and they replaced it with aluminum.

It corroded, which is different than rust.  

Untreated magnesium is susceptible to this.
A few days ago I received the Porter Cable 8931 plunge base. The 690LRVS router fit in the new base except I had to file off 2 of the 4 pins that stick out of the side of the router. It is a little harder to use the plunge base than a dedicated plunge router because of the way you have to turn the router on and off. 
Thanks for all the suggestions I will save them and look at them in the future.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-05-2020, 12:07 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: A few days ago I received the Porter Cable 8931 plunge base. The 690LRVS router fit in the new base except I had to file off 2 of the 4 pins that stick out of the side of the router. It is a little harder to use the plunge base than a dedicated plunge router because of the way you have to turn the router on and off. 
Thanks for all the suggestions I will save them and look at them in the future.

Foot switches don't cost a lot of money.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Foot switch, that would work.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-06-2020, 04:32 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Foot switch, that would work.

For some operations. 

For others like routing an edge around a table top you might find it a bit of a kludge.

YMMV.