Finished up a lathe restore
(11-22-2020, 09:15 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: That looks beautiful  The only problem I see is that there are no chips on it!

I'll be cutting some projects soon.

Waiting for winter to get here. The weather has warmed back up so I have to finish up projects around the house while I still can before it gets cold.

Yes
(11-21-2020, 06:47 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Countershaft if you think that 650 (verified by sheave ratios?) is too much for faceplate work.

I've never seen a single-phase motor at 900 rpm (8-pole).  1200 rpm (6-pole) is a little uncommon, but they're out there.  

I had one, 1/2 hp 1200 rpm, on my Delta 1460, but switched to a 1 hp three-phase 1800 rpm with inverter drive.  Now I can get it down to a crawl, and being three-phase, I can overspeed it a bit without worry.  Soft-start is nice, too. 

I set the belt ratio for the type of work, like high speed for small spindle work, and low for bowl or other large diameter, and just use the speed control for the whole project.  Very convenient.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Wowsa, that looks great!                                                                                 .
Looks fantastic. Very nice work.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-19-2020, 11:18 PM)daddo Wrote: According to the serial number, it was made in the mid to late 40's.
15" swing and 40" bed.
 Still has the original motor which when taken apart was crudded up and full of mud dabber nests. The bearings were fine. I have pics of the motor torn down, but I figured you may not care to see that.  It had a square nail stuck into the motor shaft keyway for a key.

For being on a farm and in a barn type shop for so long it was actually in good shape. It came with a chuck, two drive centers, a new live center for the tailstock, large and small rests and wrenches and keyless chuck on a straight shaft. The bench was built in the 60's I'm told and was previously a work bench which one can tell from all of the paint spilled on the wood. I used what I could of the old wood to make a better table for the lathe- the table is fastened to the wall to make it more steady.
 The motor was heavy and aligning it underneath on the sliding shafts alone was all but impossible, so I made a wooden curved support on a stick for the purpose of using a bottle jack to lift and hold the motor while installing it, and later for removing the motor or making adjustments.

I recorded the speeds using the laser rpm tool. The speeds are;
1. 642
2. 1330
3. 2415
4. Hang on to your hats; 4,887  
Big eek

I'm thinking going to a 825 rpm motor in place of the 1,725.  
Raised
 That would give me about;
1. 320
2. 650
3. 1,200
4. 2440

The spindle is a 1"x12 tpi with a MT2. Tail stock is also MT2.
 I'll be machining a 1"x 12 to 1"x 8 adapter.

It runs smooth and quiet.

[Image: dWvUxfZ.jpg]
[Image: JgVfVrT.jpg]
[Image: p8zrAk9.jpg]
[Image: 27VzvlY.jpg]
[Image: LfDPUyb.jpg]
[Image: iWjYsR3.jpg]
[Image: TdOyPha.jpg]
[Image: 1SlMGam.jpg]

Are you going to install oil cups or zerk fittings on the headstock bearings...?
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-28-2020, 01:08 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..............................
Are you going to install oil cups or zerk fittings on the headstock bearings...?

Both bearings are metal sealed.  I did remove the seals to flush the bearings out with high pressure then dry and grease them lightly before re- installing the seals.
 One bearing is questionable, so I am replacing it. I managed to find an angular type bearing replacement in MM.
 If for any reason the new bearing(s) can't be found, I will have to modify the head to accept modern 7000 series bearings or try roller tapered bearings. A big job I prefer not to have to do.  I'd rather just start turning.
I replaced the questionable bearing which they don't make anymore.. I went with a 25x52mm 7205 bearing which is a more popular size. I had to turn the shaft down to .9835", but from now on, this bearing can be replaced with no problems.

All is quiet now.