DC Motor Upgrade? Yay or Nay?
(12-31-2020, 12:10 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: TD--

Look into the cardboard concrete form tubes.  You can get them at the Borg for cheap in several diameters.

I hadn't thought of those, but that's a great idea.  $11.15 for a 4 ft tube.  Thanks!  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I'm taking the blower apart to make it easier for my bad back to lift the blower housing as I design the mounting bracket.

Welded steel impeller looks like it'll handle anything that gets sucked up in my shop. There's 1.5" of clearance at the closest point in the housing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

That looks like a very well designed impeller....should really move some air.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had hoped to take the blower apart to make lifting it easier but without a way to remove the impeller, that ain't happening.

Got the bracket built this evening; pocket screws and glue hold it together. Six 3/8 bolts attach the blower to it.

Next up: Lift it onto the stand and secure it in place.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

All those pocket screws remind me of a Scott Phillips project, only he does it on "fine" furniture.
Laugh
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I wish I had made the bottom of the bracket longer, but I think it'll hold. I'll watch it carefully when I run it the first few times. It has several 5/16 bolts holding it down. I screwed and glued a plywood spine to the upright to get rid of the sag.

Getting closer!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Waiting on a rivet gun to secure the filter ducting to the top of cyclone. Duct and filter supported by a chain.

Also waiting on new scroll saw blades to cut out a plywood adapter to connect the cyclone and blower.

Getting closer!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Really nice job on the installation so far, well done!
(12-29-2020, 12:49 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I should have said I like the push-through setup because I don't need a rigid barrel to maintain the bag and I can see how full the bags are very easily.

I'm actually moving this out of my shop into a dead-space area in the garage bay where it fits perfectly so compact isn't a problem.  Hopefully it'll help mute the noise a bit, too!

I'll give this a try and if I find it lacking I'll redesign it as a pull-through.

Thanks, gents.

There's another advantage to push through over pull through according to Bill Pentz. A push through is more efficient, it'll move more air than a pull through with the same motor/blower. How much I don't know. Something to consider if using a marginal blower like the ever-popular Harbor Freight.
(01-12-2021, 03:16 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: There's another advantage to push through over pull through according to Bill Pentz. A push through is more efficient, it'll move more air than a pull through with the same motor/blower. How much I don't know. Something to consider if using a marginal blower like the ever-popular Harbor Freight.

I hope my 3hp, 14" impeller blower is better than marginal!
Semper fi,
Brad