RAS Cutoff Stop
(11-27-2020, 12:31 AM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks for the photos, Bill with a couple more good ideas. 

Here's a system I'm considering, using the hardware mentioned in my original post. I like the flexibility of the movable fences, i.e. being able to move them out of the way when not in use and to be able to use the counter space for something else. I'm also considering using the same guy's dust control system with this unique shop-made fence for the saw. Will probably have my Dewalt miter saw inline to the right on it's own table.

Doug

I have to say that his fence system is way overkill for my garage/shop. But that dust control system is quite intriguing. Keep us posted as you progress. 

Bill
See ya later,
Bill
Years ago, there was an article in "Wood" magazine (I think it was "Wood") about making a miter gauge extension with a flip stop. It looked pretty simple. I expanded the idea and built a fence with two flip stops for my radial arm saw bench.

[Image: 40296174962_a634a667f3_c.jpg]DSC_0016Medium by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The fence consists of two pieces of two pieces of straight-grained, stable hardwood (I used hard maple). A profile is cut in the edges of each piece and they are glued together to make the fence. The profiles match and provide a T track for the flip stops.

[Image: 50653021121_641867b768_k.jpg]3A2FEFE3-9CD4-4C60-92D1-0C4579FAF29C by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I made my fence in two segments that are aligned with dowels so I could remove either section without having to remove the whole thing.

The flip stops are made with two knife hinges and a ratcheting T nut. They work like a charm.

[Image: 50653114572_f9f371afff_k.jpg]85185BB8-7222-4A52-9B7E-10A6F5DAADF7 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 50653105337_8eb36dace3_k.jpg]451DB3BE-A2B5-4C3E-815C-B05CE9259D2D by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The fence is attached to m RAS bench with brackets made from aluminum angle.

[Image: 50653108702_a6e46a4ef1_k.jpg]7F58B2D2-E538-420C-8D06-13DDBD2B015E by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I have been using this fence and flip stops for over 15 years and I've been very happy with it. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to build. The most costly items were the brass knife hinges.
https://incra.com/jig_fixture-tracks.html

I am installing the incra track and shop stop option from incra on a miter stand. The teeth that allow exact repositioning was the selling point.
My .02
Karl

More great ideas - thanks guys!

Hank, how thick is that fence? Also, where do you buy those knife hinges? Also, how long is your fence to the left of the saw blade?

Karl, I've spoken with Perry McDaniel of Incra at length about this system. As I mentioned earlier I use their miter gauge with stops on my tablesaw and have their precision system on my router table. Used the router table system last winter to make 20+ dovetailed drawers for shop cabinets - worked like a charm, so I'm a huge Incra fan. If I decide to use their track material and stop, I won't span it across the RAS table in front of the fence since it will interfere with the dust collection system, i.e. the holes and slots in the fence that allow the dust to be collected in the box. 

A point that Perry made was that with a longer rod (you can buy it at HD and Lowe's in longer lengths) you can cut very short pieces accurately. This would work with the track butted up against the RAS fence, rather than passing in front of it. 

Bill, will definitely report back on the dust collection fence and box when I get there.

Still looking at options, since it will be a few weeks before I begin work on the RAS. Thanks again all!

Doug
(11-27-2020, 02:37 PM)Tapper Wrote: Hank, how thick is that fence? Also, where do you buy those knife hinges? Also, how long is your fence to the left of the saw blade?

Doug

Doug,

The fence is 1 1/2" thick (two 3/4"pieces glued together face-to-face) and 2 3/4" high. It's 82" to the left of the blade and 53" to the right of the blade. Many people place the saw in the middle of the bench, but I find it more convenient to offset it. I think it saves space. I haven't found that the offset inhibits any cut I've needed to make. My knife hinges were made by Brusso and are relatively expensive. They are available through Woodcraft and Rockler. ( https://www.woodcraft.com/products/bruss...4-2-piece#) There are probably less expensive options out there; just Googel "knife hinges." They come in two varieties: straight and offset. You need the straight ones for these stops.
If you are considering building this fence, let me know. I will send you some more details and photos that were peculiar to my saw. They might not apply to yours, but it might help to know about them.

Hank
(11-24-2020, 10:57 PM)Tapper Wrote: Will be getting my Dewalt GA RAS back in action this winter. Building a new table top for it and want to install a cutoff stop system for precision crosscut lengths. My searches have turned up this one by Kreg available from Rockler. Seems I remember Norm having a different brand. 

Anyone know of any others suitable for this application?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug I have the 78-989 biesmeier type that museum guy referenced in his post , and I really like the way it works. I bought the ras with table fence system stop etc. and I really like it . It is quick to adjust, solid when set , adjustable and super accurate.
Juat my .02 Doug good luck on getting your saw setup!!
Gordon
(11-29-2020, 12:46 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: Doug I have the 78-989 biesmeier type that museum guy referenced in his post , and I really like the way it works. I bought the ras with table fence system stop etc. and I really like it . It is quick to adjust, solid when set , adjustable and super accurate.
Juat my .02 Doug good luck on getting your saw setup!!
Gordon

Gordon and Garry,

Thanks for the comments on the Bies Stop. For some reason I can't get the Woodworker's Supply search engine to work for me. I see the black and white pics but can't even bring up a price on this item. Even went directly to their web site via Google and had no luck. Looks like a nice unit - would like to see a little more detail on it and pricing.

Update: Found it on other sites - thanks guys - could be a contender! (actually looks like a Biesmeyer clone )

Thanks,

Doug
Update #2

A closer inspection of the Biesemeyer clone listed above (Woodstock Broset Precision W1109) is troubling. Amazon reviews basically tear it apart. Out of curiosity I called Router Bit World, a company that sells it to get a feel for its quality. Speaking to Richard their rep, was enlightening. He was well familiar with the original Biesemeyer product and basically said this product didn't hold a candle to it. I was thankful for his candor.

So, I'm on the hunt for an original Biesemeyer 78-989 stop. Since Delta bought Biesemeyer many years ago, and then were bought out themselves, this product got "lost in the shuffle" and is no longer made to my knowledge. Couldn't even find one on Ebay. If anyone knows of a source for one of the originals or by chance has one they'd consider unloading, please let me know.

Thanks,

Doug
[Image: 61%2Br2fbiVjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg]
(11-27-2020, 09:14 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Years ago, there was an article in "Wood" magazine (I think it was "Wood") about making a miter gauge extension with a flip stop. It looked pretty simple. I expanded the idea and built a fence with two flip stops for my radial arm saw bench.

[Image: 40296174962_a634a667f3_c.jpg]DSC_0016Medium by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The fence consists of two pieces of two pieces of straight-grained, stable hardwood (I used hard maple). A profile is cut in the edges of each piece and they are glued together to make the fence. The profiles match and provide a T track for the flip stops.

[Image: 50653021121_641867b768_k.jpg]3A2FEFE3-9CD4-4C60-92D1-0C4579FAF29C by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I made my fence in two segments that are aligned with dowels so I could remove either section without having to remove the whole thing.

The flip stops are made with two knife hinges and a ratcheting T nut. They work like a charm.

[Image: 50653114572_f9f371afff_k.jpg]85185BB8-7222-4A52-9B7E-10A6F5DAADF7 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 50653105337_8eb36dace3_k.jpg]451DB3BE-A2B5-4C3E-815C-B05CE9259D2D by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The fence is attached to m RAS bench with brackets made from aluminum angle.

[Image: 50653108702_a6e46a4ef1_k.jpg]7F58B2D2-E538-420C-8D06-13DDBD2B015E by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I have been using this fence and flip stops for over 15 years and I've been very happy with it. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to build. The most costly items were the brass knife hinges.
Hank --
While admiring your fence, I noticed a very familiar tool:  A Delta Radial Arm saw.  You have the Deluxe version as I recall -- it has the knobs up front.  Mine is the not-deluxe version.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to not include all of your pictures.

Take care,
Russ Walden  (from next door in Georgia

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-01-2020, 12:53 PM)Tapper Wrote: Update #2

A closer inspection of the Biesemeyer clone listed above (Woodstock Broset Precision W1109) is troubling. Amazon reviews basically tear it apart. Out of curiosity I called Router Bit World, a company that sells it to get a feel for its quality. Speaking to Richard their rep, was enlightening. He was well familiar with the original Biesemeyer product and basically said this product didn't hold a candle to it. I was thankful for his candor.

So, I'm on the hunt for an original Biesemeyer 79-989 stop. Since Delta bought Biesemeyer many years ago, and then were bought out themselves, this product got "lost in the shuffle" and is no longer made to my knowledge. Couldn't even find one on Ebay. If anyone knows of a source for one of the originals or by chance has one they'd consider unloading, please let me know.

Thanks,

Doug
[Image: 61%2Br2fbiVjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg]

I have a stop similar looking to this that i bought from woodworkers warehouse. I had two thicknesses of 3/4" melamine for a fence surface that the stop clamped to.
It worked fine for repeat cuts.  The problem was getting it to disengage due to the spring lever being a PITA.  Used it twice and now it sits on the back of a shelf collecting dust.  I should just junk it.
No
My .02
Karl