PSA: Keep an extra planer belt on hand
My DW735's belt quit on Tuesday. Didn't stretch or anything, but it seems like it wore heavily in just one spot (probably because the motor was spinning but the cutterhead wasn't).

Ordered a replacement, but the aftermarket (supposed to be delivered today, now says Wednesday) and the OEM (supposed to be delivered tomorrow, now says Monday) are not here. I have all day tomorrow and half of the day Sunday to myself, and without the ability to use the planer my shop time will be limited. Still hoping the USPS is wrong, but you never know. Frustrating, but if I had kept an extra belt on hand (somebody told me to do that once) I wouldn't be here.
Not sure about the belt on the DeWalt planer but for my Delta I just go to NAPA and get belts. I do keep an extra set on hand for all my machines.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(11-27-2020, 03:01 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Not sure about the belt on the DeWalt planer but for my Delta I just go to NAPA and get belts. I do keep an extra set on hand for all my machines.

I may try an automotive belt. I don't know that there's a reason why it wouldn't work. Not sure I can find one. Just a 17" x 7/8" belt should work.
Take the old belt in with you. They can measure it or maybe cross reference the belt #. Even if the belt is damaged they can see what size belt it is.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I destroyed a belt on my Delta - I just ordered 2 about 10 years ago.  Of course I haven't had to use the other one.  Same thing with my drum sander.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I'm on borrowed time with a thin little belt on my delta/rockwell drill press. I need to start scouting, they never break when you don't need them. Two would be a good idea.
My local Ace has an excellent selection of low horsepower belts at great prices.

No sense in spending big $ for an automotive rated belt just to use it on a 1/2 hp motor.

Ed
(11-28-2020, 09:34 PM)EdL Wrote: My local Ace has an excellent selection of low horsepower belts at great prices.

No sense in spending big $ for an automotive rated belt just to use it on a 1/2 hp motor.

Ed

I checked Ace today. Big box stores too. The closest thing they had was a vacuum belt, but nothing in the right size.

The OEM belt is urethane and to be honest seems like garbage. I would be much happier with a rubber belt, but I don't know if there are any. I did quite a bit today without the planer so I don't at all feel like I wasted the day (and I still have three belts on the way for backups) but I am pretty sure that I established that I could have cannibalized the treadmill drive belt for the planer. The treadmill doesn't get used too often anyway.

An automotive belt might be overkill, but I feel like that would be a better option than what they put on from the factory.