Finishing advice
Question 
I built the entertainment center in the pic.  In the pic it is missing the back to the bridge, base cabinet and area where the TV goes and the doors.  It is complete now, except the doors, had to wait on some router bits I mailed order.  The build is primarily plywood (birch I believe)  and ash for the fluted and base trim, the crown molding is the primed stuff from the big box store.  It can be knocked down into 4 seperate pieces  The question is how best to finish it?  The wife wants a "distressed look", so my thought was

1.  few coats of primer (water or oiled based?)
2.  followed by a base coat of white (water based acrylic or the water based alkyd paint or do I need to use oiled based? or something else?)
3.  followed by a coat of some darker color of her choosing (same type of paint as in step #2)
4.  Sand in strategic places down to the base white coat put on in step #2 for the distressed look
5.  few coats of polyurethane coat

Am I completely off?  Is there a different way to go about it?  I have the purple HVLP gun from Harbor Freight and a 6 HP (2 HP running), 30 gal, 150 max psi compressor that delivers 8.6 scfm @ 40 psi and 6.4 scfm @ 90 psi.  I would prefer to setup a temporary spray booth in the driveway with PCV and plastic paint drop cloths and spray the various coats on, if I can.  I am willing to buy a different gun if necessary.  How best to go about getting this thing finished as it is standing between me and the gloriousness of a 70 in tv 
Big Grin   

In advance any advise on how best to finish this is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think your approach is fine, though I would stay away from spraying oil based, and you may have trouble thinning the alkyd thin enough to spray.  What ever you decide to do, make up a few decent sized samples first,  don't want to mess up the nice cabinet work you did.
BIN shellac based primer sprays well and sands even better.  Careful not to spray to heavy, 2 coats will do it.

After that the choice is yours.  There are acrylic enamel water based paints like Pro Classic that would do well.

This looks like a nice piece - tell your wife I said distressing it would be a horrible thing to do!!  At least wait until you've got it primed maybe she'll change her mind.