M2 Rod for DIY Point Tool
(12-15-2020, 07:00 PM)Daven53 Wrote: The M2 you buy would likely be in the annealed condition, approx. 25Rc.
M2 tools are typically heat treated to 62Rc. This is only possible at a proper facility and not usually achievable at home due to the high temperatures required.
I've made point tools from O1 tool steel which is heat treatable at home using a torch.
Dave

You can achieve extremely high temps in a charcoal BBQ using a hair drier as a blower...And I have used several fire bricks in a small tunnel configuration and a Mapp torch..as long as the steel being hardened does not have much mass...like a small rod...the fire bricks "give back" some of the heat..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-12-2020, 10:01 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Hello, 

I'm looking for a good, reputable, and hopefully inexpensive source for 1/4" and 3/8" M2 tool rod.  The problem I'm having is that every time I use M2 the stupid search tools interpret this as 2 mm, even when I put hss, rod, blank, or any other combination I can think of.  Very frustrating.  

I can find it on mcmaster-carr, but the prices seem a bit excessive, possibly because they guarantee 0.00008" precision on the width.  

I also only want one or two pieces, so getting a container full from China doesn't sound like a good option.

Thanks,
Mark

Amazon is your friend...........
Winkgrin

Cyful 6x200mm High Speed Steel Round Turning Lathe Carbide Bars 5pcs
4.8 out of 5 stars 7
$11.89$11.89
FREE Delivery Mon, Dec
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-25-2020, 11:31 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............
Amazon is your friend...........
Winkgrin

4.8 out of 5 stars 7
$11.89$11.89
FREE Delivery Mon, Dec

That's a great price, but the product description says it is not yet heat treated.  I worry about heat treating.  Not about the technical difficulty, but because it falls into the category of "things you might do once every 10 years and therefore have a significant learning curve."

The other problem I had with all the products on amazon is the lack of detail in most cases.  HSS can mean a lot of things, I think (ie O1? A2? M2?).  At least this listing was clear that it wasn't yet heat treated.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(12-26-2020, 01:30 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: That's a great price, but the product description says it is not yet heat treated.  I worry about heat treating.  Not about the technical difficulty, but because it falls into the category of "things you might do once every 10 years and therefore have a significant learning curve."

The other problem I had with all the products on amazon is the lack of detail in most cases.  HSS can mean a lot of things, I think (ie O1? A2? M2?).  At least this listing was clear that it wasn't yet heat treated.

Mark

Just get it hot enough that a magnet won't stick and stick in at least a gallon of oil … any oil … until it is cool … bob's your uncle … it's hard ...
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
(12-25-2020, 11:28 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
You can achieve extremely high temps in a charcoal BBQ using a hair drier as a blower...And I have used several fire bricks in a small tunnel configuration and a Mapp torch..as long as the steel being hardened does not have much mass...like a small rod...the fire bricks "give back" some of the heat..

You need to hit 2200F, from a 1450F pre-heat, then quench.
Can you get that hot?
I think the 6.5mm to be good for point tools and other small round turning tools. A bit larger than 1/4 but a good size. I prefer a 1/4" to a 3/8" point tool. In any case you can get them here at Amazon at a good price. For many tools cutt the bar in half and make 2 tools since you generally do not hang over the tool rest far using these tools and only need an inch or so in the handle. https://amzn.to/38L2KLa
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."