Weather sealing Poplar?
Reading the thread Wild Turkey started, Poplar does not hold up very well out doors. 

Well it is a day too late, I have just built 2 sliding barn doors using Poplar for the frame work. I plan to put tongue and groove cedar on the out side. Stained both sides. I was planning to paint the frame work then attach the cedar.

So my question, what can I do to seal the poplar? The door faces west and should not get much rain or snow, but some, if the wind blows.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Deep tint base latex exterior paint UNTINTED.

Buy a quality gallon of deep tiny base. Paint it on and it will dry clear.. It should provide protection. It has the UV resistance of exterior paint, but is clear.
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993

Nearly any wood will last a long time outdoors if you keep the weather off it.  I built my shed doors out of ash, another poor choice for exterior work.  Two or three years later they look just as nice as the day I installed them.  They are primed and painted and do not sit on the ground so the only weather they get is blowing rain and snow.  Your doors should get even less exposure since they will be covered with cedar.  Paint the frames well on all sides before you install the cedar and rest easy.  

John