Mortar for wall tile
I will be redoing tile in bathroom during the Christmas break.
Went to Home depot got tile, tools, grout but confused on what kind of Mortar to use for wall.
Tiles will be in shower stall. Looking for Mortar that will hold tiles well on wall.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
What are you using for a tile backer?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

This is the guy you may want to follow on YouTube. He taught me to set tile (on YouTube).

And, how long is your break and how big is the shower?

Sal DiBlasi

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I have always used modified thin set for several showers and floor tile jobs. I put down hardi backer board with thin set and then screwed it down. I have seen the backer board taped at the seams but I do not feel that is necessary.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Polymer modified thinset has a little more flexibility and a little better adhesion. When in doubt, use polymer modified thinset. If I were installing tile on cement backer board or a cement shower floor/pan, I would probably not buy modified thinset, just to save money. If I were installing it over drywall (like a back splash) or on a plastic backer like Schluter/Kerdi or a plywood subfloor I would use a modified thinset. Personally, I would never put tile on plywood sub floors without a backer.

... Kizar Sosay

Agree it depends what you are setting the tiles on - and also what kind of tiles (glass?
large format? materials that stain like marble?).

Polymer modified thinset is a good general answer, but not right for every situation.

https://www.diytileguy.com/which-thinset...fographic/

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(12-15-2020, 06:35 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: This is the guy you may want to follow on YouTube. He taught me to set tile (on YouTube).

And, how long is your break and how big is the shower?

Sal DiBlasi

+1 on Sal DiBlasi. Easy to make mistakes on shower tile job that ends up in a total tear out (or worse). Sal is an effective teacher.
(12-15-2020, 06:30 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: What are you using for a tile backer?

I will be using cement board for tile backer
Are you using something like Redguard on the backer?
VH07V  
(12-15-2020, 05:18 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I will be redoing tile in bathroom during the Christmas break.
Went to Home depot got tile, tools, grout but confused on what kind of Mortar to use for wall.
Tiles will be in shower stall. Looking for Mortar that will hold tiles well on wall.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

You definitely need to tape and thinset the seams, as you don't want cracking there later.  Read the Hardi instructions and pay attention to gaps, proper screws and placement, and trowel size.  I would use Versabond or Flexbond as a thinset motar and are available at HD. The Hardi soaks of a lot of water, so wipe it with a wet sponge before applying thinset.

EightFingers asked if you are using Redguard.  Good point, because you are laying in a wet area, so what is your plan for waterproofing?