Boxes of Red Cedar
The 2 "ends" came out of the clamps, Sunday...
Cool 

Needing trimmed down a bit, and cut square....needed things flat...and both faces smoothed out...

Then the bevel gauge was setup...about a 10/12 pitch..
Confused  

Clipped the "peak" down a bit, as there will be an Oak ridge beam....

That will fit in that spot....rest of the parts got a going over...to get rid of the rough face..

Some needed jointed...as they will be in a glue up...

As these 2 will be the lid's parts....others will be the sides of this box...

2 ends, and 2 sides...The oak ridge beam?

Also needed a few swipes of the plane...

Next time in the shop?   Dovetail the corners, and see about a groove to hold a 1/4" Plywood bottom panel.....The Oak beam is for the handle to have a strong point to latch onto ...and maybe some sort of latch for the 2 lids...
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Late night Laundry Detail   VERY LATE night.....got done about 3am....of course, used the time to also putter around in the shop, while waiting around
Rolleyes

Marked a few angles...sawn a few lines...

Chop out the waste..

Use these pins to lay out the tails...bandsaw to remove the tail waste..leaving the lines...then a dry fit...

Repeat for corner #2..
Cool

Set up on the bench...

Lay out for the Ridge Beam joinery...

Not the most fun to do....

Marking gauge was even used..

Then a knife and square to deepen the "baseline" that I was about to abuse...
Rolleyes  

And the usual selection of chisels..as needed..

May try after Supper, and get corners #3 and #4 done....and the other end of that ridge beam done....was a LONG day yesterday...all day long. 

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Corners #3 and #4.....are done...
Cool

tried rushing around a bit....and cutting the other top notch....

Problems arose when I chiseled out the waste....."one more chop....
Upset "

top snapped off on both sides of the notch..
Upset
Upset     Glue cauls and a couple clamps to repair....and closed up shop.

I was going to set up the Stanley 45 to plough a 1/4" wide by 3/16" deep groove around the bottom edges...to house a plywood bottom panel......rather than tempt fate anymore..
No 

Will rip a few strips, 1/4" thick by 3/8" wide, miter their ends, and use them as "slips"....glued in place around the bottom of the box..on the inside...then come back and glue in the 1/4" plywood panel onto the slips.  
Cool

First?   I'll need to glue up the box itself....
Winkgrin

Stay tuned.....Happy New Year, you all!
Winkgrin
Glue up has been made...
Winkgrin

Without breaking anything else
Cool  ( repaired slot is at the bottom)

had to use a couple spacer bars....to keep things from bowing in...sides are straight, again
Rolleyes 

Slips....piece of Ash scrap.....run through the slip cutter...

used the thin material push stick....I like to keep me fingers just as they are
Winkgrin  

Took an old saw handle, added a piece of 1/4" plywood...and notched....results? 

These will be cut and mitered to fit...made an extra...just in case
Rolleyes 

Only question now is, which mitersaw to use...
Cool 

Hmmm, Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Clamps came off....
Cool

Thought I'd check how well the top bar fit....I can plane the bar easier than deepen the notch...

Set up a mitersaw..

Mitrebox is a Stanley No. 2246, made before Stanley painted these blue...saw is a Disston/HK Porter No. 4.....made expressly for Stanley Mitre Boxes....says so right in the etch..
Cool

Couple of Visegrip Finger clamps to clamp the front feet to my tablesaw....then cut the 1st "slip" to length...
Cool 

C clamps and a bead of glue...let this sit a while...

Later today (maybe
Rolleyes
No
Confused ) I can also cut the 1/4" plywood panel to size....and the rest of the slips.....Maybe tomorrow set to work on the 2 lids, cut to fit, and a few beveled edges?

Stay tuned...
Plywood panel...was marked out..
Cool

First test fit showed it was a hair too wide..we have ways..
Winkgrin  

Plane a little off the top?   Removed the saw marks, too...more test fits, until..

Works for me....Mitersaw to make a few more slips..

Works for me.
Cool  keep cutting slips to size...fine tune with a block plane...
Winkgrin

Glue and a c clamp or two....after all four were in place, let them sit while the glue cured....Put the mitersaw away....and work on the two blanks for the lids....getting them squared up, and the right length....then that block plane to bevel the long edges...
Winkgrin

Trying to match the "roof pitch" angles.....once one lid was fitted up, I rip the other lid to width...will bevel it's edges, during the next "Laundry Detail" session....

I did pick up a set of latches for the lids...
Cool

Waiting on the floor board glue-up the dry...
Rolleyes

Cauls to help press the plywood floor down into the bead of glue on top of the slips.....

next item on the list?    How about some dividers for inside the box?    6 or 8 compartments?
Confused   Hmmmm
Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Ok..clamps came off today....for a little while, at least.    To solve the problem of the sockets snapping off, at the top of the "peak"....gussets were cobbled up
Cool

And then glued in place...leaving enough room for the lids to close...

Test fitted...
Rolleyes

But, NOT installed, just yet...Jointed some Ash scraps with the Sargent VBM 414c..

Most also needed planned flat...

As they were tapered in several directions at once...selected the best of the lot...trimmed to fit..

Tight, but not too tight.  Needed to cut 3 more items to length..

These also needed to be flattened a bit...then a notch was made in each...

Then 3 notches to match in the center piece..and a dry fit...

And then a dry fit IN the box...

Which brings this to the end of part#1....stay tuned, Part #2 is coming right up
Winkgrin
Ok...Part #2 of today's 2 hours in the shop...had to get the dividers back out of the box...spread some glue, and then put them back into the box...trying to keep things lined up, and square....then some glue on the top bar...

And, this time around, that bar was driven home,,,glue was trying to run away...Then the problem of clamping everything down...clamps and cauls..
Cool

There are block inside, for the clamps to press the dividers down....cauls under the box spread things out a bit....

have a clamp pushing down onto the top bar, as well.  Set this mess over on the tablesaw....out of the way....have Cedar to mill..

One face is a bit rough, the other just needs the glue joint smoothed out....we have ways...
Winkgrin

That Sargent is getting a workout, today....note, there is a "proud' screw head, acting as a planing stop.   I did not sharpen it's edge, as it makes a nice dent in the end grain, anyway..

get things close, finish up with the Stanley No. 3  smoother....knots and all....until the surface has a nice shine to it...

Now, one of these two already has both edges beveled...the other needs both....decided to at least get one bevel done..yep, the old jack plane, again
Cool

Figure when the forest of clamps leaves, I can better fit both lids, and see about some hinges and latches installed...
Rolleyes

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
I suppose I had better catch things up?    Clamps came off....glue joints sanded smooth, with a bit of round-over going on..

Top bar was a bit "proud" on one end...we have ways
Winkgrin  

A few swipes with the hand plane....Fitting of the lids....angles were a bit ..off...had to plane them until a decent fit...

One edge of a gusset was a bit too high...chisel to lower it a bit...needed some helping hands to install hinges...

Got tired of chasing the box across the top of the bench...1st hinge screw...showed I needed to use a pilot hole drill

otherwise, Cedar tends to split...moved the hinge a bit, drilled the hole.  Drill bit is just a small nail, with the head cut off...then chucked into the drill..
latches were offset a bit...but, there wasn't any room up there for a handle....so, a pair was installed on the ends..

Since the box had already been sanded down, and wiped off clean...gave the entire outside a seal coat..

Letting this dry a day, or so ( next Laundry Detail?)..

Then sand things down to 320 grit, and try a second coat....
Stay tuned..we getting there...
Thanks Bandit I really missed your working.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.