lumber sizes
I purchased some 2" x 4" x 8' framing lumber.

I am well aware that the 2" x 4" = 1½" x 3½", but I was not aware that the eight-foot length would measure 93".

I guess it makes sense.  If you add a bottom plate and a top plate, you are adding 3" so the total equals 96", however I wanted the full 8 feet for my application.

Has this always been so?  Or is it only at Lowes?  Or only recent?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
93" studs are "pre cuts". I'm sure they sell both lengths. Perhaps it wasn't marked well or put in the correct spot? They've been around for years.
(12-28-2020, 08:56 AM)joe1086 Wrote: 93" studs are "pre cuts". I'm sure they sell both lengths. Perhaps it wasn't marked well or put in the correct spot? They've been around for years.
Maybe I missed the sign.  I will go back and check.
Menards offers "pre-cut" framing lumber, too.  Sometimes the price per stick is the same as the "normal" length; sometimes, the pre-cuts cost more.  You just gotta watch what you're getting.
Check your precuts again. They should be 92 5/8. That is the standard for the reasons you listed.
(12-28-2020, 08:41 AM)Cooler Wrote: I purchased some 2" x 4" x 8' framing lumber.

I am well aware that the 2" x 4" = 1½" x 3½", but I was not aware that the eight-foot length would measure 93".

I guess it makes sense.  If you add a bottom plate and a top plate, you are adding 3" so the total equals 96", however I wanted the full 8 feet for my application.

Has this always been so?  Or is it only at Lowes?  Or only recent?

Precut stud length lumber comes in 92-5/8" and 104 5/8" length.

It allows for sills and plates and 8' drywall on the studs with a half inch space under the drywall at the baseboard after you put the 5/8" ceiling drywall up first.   The 104-5/8" is for 9' ceilings.
WoodNET... the new safespace
8' should actually be 8'.  Maybe the sign said "for 8' walls"???
(12-28-2020, 10:13 PM)JosephP Wrote: 8' should actually be 8'.  Maybe the sign said "for 8' walls"???

I have to buy some more items at Lowes so I will go back on Saturday and check.

I just went to Lowes website. 

They list

2-in x 4-in x 92-5/8-in Douglas Fir Stud at $5.08 each

and

2-in x 4-in x 96-in Douglas Fir Stud at $6.10 each

So 3-3/8" costs $1.02?  Does that make sense?   At that rate, an 8 footer would cost $29.02 each.  I don't get it.  I will check the store signage on Saturday and report.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=...+4%22+stud
Usually studs are more expensive or the same price as 8' lumber. Rarely is a stud cheaper. They charge more because it's a labor saver.
You bought stud length (IE used for wall studs). The full 8’ cost more because of volume, the lumber companies sell a a lot more stud length. You may see them marked in the store as stud length.