lumber sizes
Yea, you simply just bought the wrong board, which was a 8' wall stud.
8' ers are still 8'.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I went back and it appeared to be mislabeled.  They have clear signs for 2 x 6" wall studs that list the actual overall length in inches.

This batch showed "2 x 4" x 8' (96").  So mislabelled.  I let the cashier know, but I doubt that she will do anything about it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-04-2021, 10:13 AM)Cooler Wrote: I went back and it appeared to be mislabeled.  They have clear signs for 2 x 6" wall studs that list the actual overall length in inches.

This batch showed "2 x 4" x 8' (96").  So mislabelled.  I let the cashier know, but I doubt that she will do anything about it.

yeah. My local home centers offer significant savings over local lumber yards for just about everything they sell. When they first opened Home Depot near me, they hired tradesmen with expertise in the aisles they were responsible for. They paid a decent wage and offered healthcare. Not sure why, but my local stores are now staffed with retirees who can be hit or miss, and entry level folks who know less than nothing about everything. That's okay - you gotta start somewhere. So I never walk thru the doors without a tape measure and my reading glasses for reading directions on cans etc. A lot of times I search for the products I want online and make sure the store has stock. Point is, I don't trust the displays, employees, etc. I assume everything is mismarked and priced wrong. This is the price we pay for lower prices at the self check out. If you want convenient shopping and expertise behind the register, go to your local lumber yard.

i know you know all this. I just wanted to validate that we all are experiencing the same challenges with the home centers.

Just one grumble from me. As a pro carpenter building a house and spending big money at the home center, I'm sometimes miffed by the people with the audis that park in contractor parking and walk out with a small store bag of hardware or scotch brite pads. I just don't get why, even if these guys are pros, they feel comfortable taking up parking spots from people buying bulky or heavy items. I don't really care if you are a pro or not or how much you spend. If you are buying a refrigerator, park in pro parking. If you can't walk good, take any of the 500 empty handicapped spots. And your F250 raptor short bed, doesn't qualify you as a pro when you are buying paper towels.

The home centers are cheap, but they also seem to actively discourage pros. I can see why pros buy from the lumber yards. If I weren't self building, I would probably do the same thing for the reason you mentioned.