I'm a scroll saw convert!
My wife's grandfather bought this saw back in the 90's. Never used it or even opened it. Her dad gave it to me several months back and I finally broke it out to cut a plywood disc needed to make an adapter for a DC I'm cobbling together. The fine tooth blade and 3/4" thickness made it kinda slow, but it was SO much cleaner and smoother than using a jigsaw.

I'm convinced.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Nice.  I had one of that model once.  Like your wife's grandfather, I never used it.  I had this grand idea that I was going to restore the screen door on our house and add some scroll work to it like I have seen some places.  Design ideas fell through as they are not consistent with the overall style of the house and so I never got started on it.  Then I sold it or returned it when I needed something else as I don't have space.  I bought a Dremel one later that worked pretty good, but the space thing bit me again and it had to go.
Yeah, this won't be used often but now that I recognize its usefulness, it's staying!

Hoping to teach my daughter to use it this spring after I build a proper base for it.
Semper fi,
Brad

I was hoping to teach my son to use it as the noise of the other machines is scary to him.  He isn't ready.  I used it a couple of times and found it good for what it is.  If I had the space, I would have kept it.
Scroll saws can be addictive. They are capable of a variety of very unique projects. I bought my first scroll saw 25+ years ago. I’m on my third saw now and have been president of our local scroll saw club for about 10 years now. There is something for just about every taste and skill level. Take a few minutes and search scroll saw patterns or projects and I think you will be surprised at how much is out there.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill, what scroll saw do you use now or what’s been your favorite over the years? I used to own one and enjoyed it, would like to get back into it.

Thanks.
Kevin
I still kick myself when at a garage sale I passed on a Hegner (with the stand) for $175. I don't know what I was thinking.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-29-2020, 08:58 PM)kwadams Wrote: Bill, what scroll saw do you use now or what’s been your favorite over the years? I used to own one and enjoyed it, would like to get back into it.

Thanks.
Kevin

I have an Excalibur, EX-21.  I bought mine a few years ago, right before they moved manufacturing to China from Taiwan.  Early reports are that the newer models have some quality issues, so I don't recommend them these days.  Before that, I had a Dewalt, which I liked very much.  The Dewalt originally was manufactured in the same plant as the Excalibur (by General Intl, in Canada) and shared a lot of the same design.  The Excalibur was essentially an upgrade of my Dewalt, but kept most of the features that made it a very user friendly saw.

If I were buying a new saw today, I'd look very hard at the Pegas https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pegas...ine-pegas#.  There are several brands out there that use much of the same design as the Excalibur.  The Pegas is one.  Also you could look into the Seyco, the Jet or the King Industrial.  They are all very similar.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Thanks, Bill, I’m looking at the Pegas and been also doing a search of local classifieds for a nice Hegner. Many years ago I owned an RBI, which was very nice. I had actually gone to a wwing show (when they had such things!) and tried out the top 3 at the time (including the original Excalibur, which was very nice, too). I made tons of toys and stuff when my kids were young and then sold it when they grew up and I needed the room in the shop. Now I’m back to liking the idea of some quiet time making small objects as gifts and some toys!

Thanks again,
Kevin
Good luck with your search, Kevin.