Fancy Hand Plane advice
(01-08-2021, 02:39 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Over-weight, over-priced, and over HYPED.   

Too many seem to think that rather than set up a plane correctly ( it's toooo much WORK) They can just drop in a thicker iron and it will cure all the troubles they perceive they have.

I find I can easily use that Vintage #60-1/2 with one hand....no chatter, can be set to the finest shaving I want.....

I have the Stanley 9-1/2 set up the same way....with the OEM iron...btw.   I do not consider a clumsy, way too thick iron an "upgrade"...more like a crutch.....

It MIGHT be an "upgrade" IF one gets a commission for selling those thicker irons....

The other day....was using a Sargent VBM 414c.....a Stanley No. 3, Type 11, AND that Cordovan No. 60-1/2....all with their ORIGINAL irons....no problems what so ever....

In the past..Have used almost every type of Maple,,,figured Cherry, White Oak, and some Walnut.....and with these type of planes.....the last "new & improved" iron I bought was sold at Home Depot....for $3 for a 2" wide iron.....

i prefer to spend all that money on wood for projects....rather than a shelf sitter to show off with....

" But believe what you want, I'm not going to argue with your experience, as I am certain you have compared the performance of the three planes to make your judgment."

Well, I guess you haven't.  Nuff said.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Actually....yes I have.....prefer mine....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I've got my eye on a few, and already got a LN LAJ arriving today.

If I can't afford wood after buying this iron, or if for some reason I completely forget how to use a plane, and can't find Youtube, then I'll make a post asking for that kind of advice. =)
Coffee makes me cough. Should I call it coughfy?