Ordering new Saw Stop
I talked to my local dealer about ordering the saw and he said the dust collection below the blade when hooked up to a good dust collector will collect approximately 97% of the dust. Would you agree?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
(01-13-2021, 05:07 AM)AztecKing Wrote: I talked to my local dealer about ordering the saw and he said the dust collection below the blade when hooked up to a good dust collector will collect approximately 97% of the dust. Would you agree?

Jeff

Nope...you still get a good amount of discharge coming off the blade on top of the table. That said, you could always try it without the over blade pick up and see what you think.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-13-2021, 06:29 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Nope...you still get a good amount of discharge coming off the blade on top of the table. That said, you could always try it without the over blade pick up and see what you think.

If you use a zero clearance insert, you will still get a lot of sawdust on top of the saw.  When I first got mine the above the table dust collection was not available, it became available a few months later and I noticed a great improvement when using it.
(01-13-2021, 05:07 AM)AztecKing Wrote: I talked to my local dealer about ordering the saw and he said the dust collection below the blade when hooked up to a good dust collector will collect approximately 97% of the dust. Would you agree?

Jeff

How is a good collector defined? Most hobby shops don't have space for a large/central dust collector.

From time to time, I need to make cuts without the overarm and dust blade guard (99%). I don't think only 2 more % of dust is generated when not using the overarm dust collection. By sight, I'd say way way more than 2%.

If you don't want to spend more, at least get the dust blade guard and hook it up as Philip's image shows with your own hose (unribbed if you can find one).

As Fred suggested, can you ask the dealer to do some test cuts (including edge cuts) with and without the overarm system, and see it for yourself?

Simon
(01-13-2021, 02:16 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: How is a good collector defined? Most hobby shops don't have space for a large/central dust collector.

From time to time, I need to make cuts without the overarm and dust blade guard (99%). I don't think only 2 more % of dust is generated when not using the overarm dust collection. By sight, I'd say way way more than 2%.

If you don't want to spend more, at least get the dust blade guard and hook it up as Philip's image shows with your own hose (unribbed if you can find one).

As Fred suggested, can you ask the dealer to do some test cuts (including edge cuts) with and without the overarm system, and see it for yourself?

Simon
They have one on display but it's not in a place where they can power it up. I'll see how it does when I get it put in my shop and decide which option for above table collection would be best.
It's time for the patriots to stand up!