Jet air cleaner woes
(01-11-2021, 05:52 PM)Just_Dave Wrote: Take a closer look at the blue device next to the fuse.  It looks like a PTC to me.  A PTC will self reset unless it blows which that one looks like it has.  If the PTC tripped and shorted that would explain the fuse blowing.  Now it could all be tied together and the problem is downstream but it might be worth checking.

Thanks Dave, 

I'll take a look at it

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(01-11-2021, 09:08 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Is it the right motor to use a "router speed control"? If so, I never thought about that, and I have one available that I could put to use.

(01-11-2021, 09:41 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: All of the router speed controls that I've seen are for brush-type AC motors only.  Not saying there aren't ones that will work with the AC induction motor in your JET air cleaner.  Just that I've never seen one that will.

Mike

Thanks,
I'll sit tight on the router speed control, doesn't sound promising,

h

If you want the fan speeds, I would buy the board.

If you just want it to run on high speed you can hot wire it.

Don't ask me how to do it, a used one I bought was set up that way but I got the board and restored it to factory spec.

$100. How much cheaper is a speed control and how much is your time worth?
You need the high speed to move and clean the air. Yes, it's noisy and annoying. But that's how it does the job. The low setting is useless in my opinion. So, I'd hardwire it (as long as it's safe to do so), and use the $100 on something else. Better ear protection?

Mine is always on the highest speed possible.

Simon
(01-12-2021, 10:18 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: You need the high speed to move and clean the air. Yes, it's noisy and annoying. But that's how it does the job. The low setting is useless in my opinion. So, I'd hardwire it (as long as it's safe to do so), and use the $100 on something else. Better ear protection?

Mine is always on the highest speed possible.

Simon

The speed efficiency has to do with space and type of mess you make. 
As a turner, I have 2 running at high speed and a dust collector at the lathe. 

I suspect a hand carver in a one car garage would get plenty of cleaning even at low speed.
(01-12-2021, 10:28 AM)taxman Wrote: The speed efficiency has to do with space and type of mess you make. 
As a turner, I have 2 running at high speed and a dust collector at the lathe. 

I suspect a hand carver in a one car garage would get plenty of cleaning even at low speed.

You're probably right, but I was assuming that shoottmx is a typical woodworker running saws, sanders etc rather than a carver for whom a box fan would be more than enough. When Wood did its air filtration review, all units were set at their highest speed. That review did recommend the box fan for a small shop.

Simon
[quote pid='7941669' dateline='1610457985']
Just_Dave Wrote:

[url=https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?pid=7941451#pid7941451][/url]
Take a closer look at the blue device next to the fuse.  It looks like a PTC to me.  A PTC will self reset unless it blows which that one looks like it has. 
[/quote]

Well, you're absolutely correct. It is blown out, thanks for seeing that. 

I've exhausted my patience with repairing the board, I'm just going to order a new board. 

My shop is power tool based with pretty effective DC at each machine plus a dust extractor for ROS & 1/4 sheet sander. I have 2 Jet air cleaners circulating air around the shop on low when I'm working. I think that's sufficient for my use.

Thanks for confirming what LOML told me to do when the thing crapped out 2 weeks ago. But I know a little more today than I did then.

g