Dust Right by Rockler
Anyone use this system? If so, how do you like it? I have a Penn State 2 1/2 HP double bag DC but am looking for some flexibility instead of trying to run piping to every machine. Seems like it could be pretty handy; they also have a sale going now.

Would appreciate your comments/experiences.

Dust Right

Doug
I have an older version of that and it makes moving my DC hose from my router table, planer, jointer and miter saw dust hood a breeze. I just bought the handle from Rockler and got the couplings locally.
(01-10-2021, 11:01 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I have an older version of that and it makes moving my DC hose from my router table, planer, jointer and miter saw dust hood a breeze.  I just bought the handle from Rockler and got the couplings locally.

Thanks for the reply. Where did you buy the couplings?

My DC trunk line is overhead and is 6" S&D PVC. I plan to branch off to a couple of locations on the wall with a Y and blast gates to have max flexibility to hook this Rockler system to. Looking for suggestions as to how best to set this up.

Thanks,

Doug
I don't remember exactly where I bought what but my usual pattern is to buy locally whenever possible. Probably got the rubber couplings from Mennards and any plastic fittings from Woodcraft.
I use it and like it.  Mine is a slightly older one though, it doesn't have the air adjustable part. I use it with the retractable hose, occasionally it will get some dust caught in it. It does have a high static charge, so I would consider one with the anti static hose. Dan
OK guys, I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase the Dust Right system for inside the shop.

My 2 1/2 HP Penn State dust collector is in the back corner of my garage, and the garage is contiguous to my shop; 5' double doors separate the two. I ran a 6" PVC trunk line overhead in the ceiling connecting the DC to my shop area. I now want to upgrade the dust collector from the original cloth double bag configuration to a filter on top and a clear plastic throw-away bag on the bottom.

I also want to install a separator. Do they now make separators that fit in the dust collector, i.e. are housed in the metal ring between the two bags? I would prefer to buy these upgrades rather than fabricate them. So, some questions:

1) Penn State or Wynn canister filter? (any retrofitting necessary with the Wynn?)
2) Thien built-in separator? (can you buy one for my Penn State?)
3) Source for plastic bags for my Penn State?
4) If Thien doesn't sell a built-in separator, who sells the best "garbage can" type separator?

Any other helpful comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Doug
I'm not aware of a commercially-available thien baffle.
Maybe go to his site and see if anyone is making them.

The Jet Vortex plate is about as close as anything commercial gets that goes inside the single-stage collector.

It is not worthwhile to buy the cheap trashcan separator lids.  (the separation is not all that great)

However, the dust deputy stages work pretty well.
Get one sized for your collector (5 or 6") and get an airtight cannister to put underneath it of the desired size.
(fiber drum is probably cheapest for large ones bought new; you might be able to get other used drums on craigslist.  probably worthwhile making sure nothing too nasty had been in them)

Matt
I did everything you’re talking about a couple of years ago. My unit is an older single stage 2hp Grizzly located in a corner of the shop. I have two short pvc runs down the two walls from the corner, with 3 blast gates located on each run to allow isolation to one machine. Off of the gates are flex hoses to each machine. I used dust right connectors on the table saw, router table and jointer. The reason for the table saw is to allow me to move the flex hose from the saw to the router table that is built into the saw wing. Never run the saw and router at the same time anyway. I added a dust right port to the jointer to allow me to move my jointer out from the wall in my small shop for long boards. I found the table saw hose was better positioned when I needed to do that, so I added an extra dust right port to the jointer. I have 3 ports and one dust right handle in my shop. The rest of the machines are hooked up with regular hose clamps.

I upgraded the dust collector with a Wynn upgrade kit. It included the 15 Merv filter, mounting hardware, and two clear lower bags. It hooked up to my machine with no modifications. To help prevent clogging of the filter, I made a Thien baffle. I went that route due to limited space for a separate trash can separator in my small shop. The baffle is easy to make and you can find plans on the internet. Fine Woodworking did an article on this upgrade method a few years ago.

The baffle does work with the help of periodic maintenance. Occasionally I will reverse the hose on my shop vac and blow through the filter from the outside. That dislodges the dust from the pleats. Allow the dust to settle for 15 minutes onto the Thien baffle and then turn on the dust collector for 30 seconds and it all ends up in the lower bag. You can use the air compressor to blow through the filter also.

I purchased the Wynn filter with the removable end cap, in case I needed to gain access to the filter for cleaning from the inside. Theory was that I could clean the filter without full removal. I have not found a need to take off the end cap yet, but it’s a nice option.

The upgrade made a big difference in the basement. It was important not only for health reasons, but also the shop is in a finished basement, next to a home theater area.

[Image: full]
John
    [attachment=32321][attachment=32321]

Matt and John,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. Matt, I was really interested in that Jet Vortex cone and found it on the web. I went out and took the bottom bag off of my collector so I could see what it looked like inside the metal ring. Here it is above. Looks like it's kind of a built-in vortex ring. While not probably as efficient as the Jet, hopefully this will help the process.

John, thanks for posting the picture of your setup; it was very helpful. I ordered the canister from Wynn today, the one with the removable top. I called them and left a message for Mr. Wynn himself. In a half hour or so Dick Wynn called me back and we talked about my dust collector and his canister. Nice man and was full of useful information. During the conversation he asked me if I'd seen the Stumpy Nubs video on a modification to the lower clear dust bag to make it easier to dump. I had not but went on the web later to see what he was talking about. Here's the video:

Dust Bucket

I plan to use this mod to hopefully make this task a little more convenient and easier. I like the little bucket with the trash bag in it as opposed to a separator trash can because it takes up less floor space AND I can leave my six inch hose connected directly to the inlet of my dust collector for hopefully more efficiency. 

Will update this post when the filter arrives (Mr. Wynn said they were running about 2 weeks behind so it will be a while). Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Doug
I have the older unit which services the bandsaw, RAS, and Dewalt 735 planer. Works well. Hooked up to a 32 gal trash can separate - lid from Woodcraft. Although spendy, the tool ports adapt each machine to the handle that make it a breeze to tote to each machine as I use it.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard