1/2" DOWELL IN 1/2" HOLE
(12-17-2022, 08:59 AM)RPE1 Wrote: I just did this the other day on a repair.   Use a 1/2" dowel cut to the correct length, maybe a bit shorter than needed.   Bevel both ends a bit. Clamp the dowel in a vice grip with it vertical (use the bandsaw blade to check for square) Take it to the band saw and cut a kerf the entire length.  Use something to support the dowel during the cut.  Cut a little past half way.  Then fill up the kerf with glue as well as the outside and hammer it in.  Put some glue in the hole(s) as well.

oh, i like that!

i've also had decent luck just taking some pliers and compressing the dowel a bit.  also, gives some nice grooves for the glue.  
Yes
(12-16-2022, 01:45 PM)taxman Wrote: Hate to state the obvious, but have you tried a bigger bit? 13mm is barely larger than 1/2," as is 17/32, etc

Second, measure your dowels. you may have ones larger than you think. Find a source, or create ones that meet your needs. 

Good luck!

I wonder if your dowel isn't really 1/2" but rather 13 mm.  13 mm =.51", or slightly larger than 1/2"
IME, purchased dowels are made to be a press fit. The grooves are for the glue.

I've repaired many a stripped screw hole with dowels, especially in door jambs. Drill, glue in a dowel and redrill for a new correct size screw.

Ed