Black & Decker router for beads along curved edge
When I was an apprentice I worked in a shop that had a B&D router that we used to to put a bead along a curved edge. A bearing would follow the edge and it had a cage-like piece that acted as a depth adjuster over the bit. It was approximately the same size as a laminate trimmer. Does anyone know what I'm trying to describe and have any information about it? Thanks.
(12-27-2022, 03:54 PM)ovenled Wrote: When I was an apprentice I worked in a shop that had a B&D router that we used to to put a bead along a curved edge. A bearing would follow the edge and it had a cage-like piece that acted as a depth adjuster over the bit. It was approximately the same size as a laminate trimmer. Does anyone know what I'm trying to describe and have any information about it? Thanks.

It sounds like you are describing a trim router with a standard fixed base. They are available in both tailed and cordless versions. If you are seeking to buy one, I would suggest a new thread for recommendations for brands and sources for trim routers. If you do that, it would help if you say whether you preferred tailed or battery-powered. FWIW, all of my trim routers came through the SnS here.

It can be harder to find router bits with guide bearings for the smaller shaft diameter usually found in trim routers.

Bits are available for various bead diameters.

Hopefully, someone better than me will be along soon to give you pointers to good sources of router bits with guide bearings suitable for trim routers. Are you looking for a particular bead diameter?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-27-2022, 03:54 PM)ovenled Wrote: When I was an apprentice I worked in a shop that had a B&D router that we used to to put a bead along a curved edge. A bearing would follow the edge and it had a cage-like piece that acted as a depth adjuster over the bit. It was approximately the same size as a laminate trimmer. Does anyone know what I'm trying to describe and have any information about it? Thanks.

You mean this: http://powertool.manualsonline.com/manua.../3265.html
(12-27-2022, 05:38 PM)iclark Wrote: It sounds like you are describing a trim router with a standard fixed base. They are available in both tailed and cordless versions. If you are seeking to buy one, I would suggest a new thread for recommendations for brands and sources for trim routers. If you do that, it would help if you say whether you preferred tailed or battery-powered. FWIW, all of my trim routers came through the SnS here.

It can be harder to find router bits with guide bearings for the smaller shaft diameter usually found in trim routers.

Bits are available for various bead diameters.

Hopefully, someone better than me will be along soon to give you pointers to good sources of router bits with guide bearings suitable for trim routers. Are you looking for a particular bead diameter?

Try this LINK to see if this is what you need.   They have numerous bits in 1/4" shank.   Roly