Dental vacuum and compressor?
I recently picked up a package deal primarily to get an air dryer to use with my plasma cutter.
In the deal was a suction unit as well as a small air compressor from a dental office.

I haven’t run the compressor yet, but I’m assuming it’s a relatively low CFM oil free compressor designed to run quietly and for a fairly long life despite being oil free.

My question is in regards to the vacuum pump, I already have a vacuum veneer system based on a Venturi pump, so I’m wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to repurpose this vacuum system for?

Thanks
Duke
(12-28-2022, 08:09 AM)JDuke Wrote: I recently picked up a package deal primarily to get an air dryer to use with my plasma cutter.
In the deal was a suction unit as well as a small air compressor from a dental office.

I haven’t run the compressor yet, but I’m assuming it’s a relatively low CFM oil free compressor designed to run quietly and for a fairly long life despite being oil free.

My question is in regards to the vacuum pump, I already have a vacuum veneer system based on a Venturi pump, so I’m wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to repurpose this vacuum system for?

Thanks
Duke

A little more looking, and it is indeed an oil free compressor as expected, but I wasn’t expecting a scroll pump.  That’s a welcome surprise, as I have always wanted a scroll compressor. 
It is significantly quieter than my oil lubricated piston compressor. It also has a copper cooling coil on top of the tank that will be nice for plasma work. 

I little more research on the vacuum pump tells me it’s a dry vacuum that should pull 10mmHg, I’m not sure if that’s enough to make it of any use in a veneer system or not, but I’m going to look into it. 

Looks like it’s inches of mercury not mm, and joe wooodworker recommends closer to 18-20 inches of mercury so the 10 that this machine pulls won’t be adequate for vacuum veneer work.

So I’m still looking for a viable use other than boat anchor, as I neither have nor want a boat.

Duke