New Yankee Workshop tour by Russell Morash
A quick tour from the actual owner himself. We hardly ever see Russ Morash, well here he is:

https://youtu.be/KkNhWgoTtd8

The NYW - more than any other show - has inspired me to take up the hobby of woodworking (not considering my middle school Industrial Arts teacher) and build the woodshop that I enjoy so much today.
Were it not for Russell and Norm, I doubt this (or any other) WW forum would even exist.
I used to come up out of my basement shop just to watch the show and then go back down. I met Norm twice. He was one of the nicest people I ever met. He gave you his whole attention and talked to you on personal level even when there were other people waiting. 

I was working nights , got off at 3:30. Anyway my wife got me up early on a Saturday morning. She said Norm was going to be at Menards in Mason city IA, for a look a like contest. How they got him there I don't have a clue. Anyway we drove the 50 plus miles to get there. We both talked with him and I had my picture taken with him at that time. The picture is framed and is fastened to my home made ceiling air filter in my shop.  We left and later on I got a package. It seems I won the door prize which was a New Yankee  Base ball cap. I wore it out and since have misplaced it. I do not know who made sure that I got it but it sure showed integrity.

That was 20-22 years ago

Also Frank Klausz did a DVD on restoring a #4 hand plane. Maybe some will remember that I used to regrind them. I redid one and sent it to Frank along with a letter and a picture of my bench he inspired. Later I got a letter back from him and some pictures of him using it along with some sassafras shavings. 

I say this because both Norm's picture and what Frank sent me are both on my home made air filter in my shop. I look at the pictures sometimes when I come back from getting a cut of coffee. It is on another side of my shop and think I would be awesome to set down with them, in my shop, and have a cut of coffee with the two. Think about a few seconds and then go back to work with a little lighter heart.

Thank you for posting this. Brought back some good memories.

Tom
If any Woodneter is passing by Nashua, you have an open invitation to stop by for coffee. I have had one or two including Arlin. There is room on my air filter.
Tom
(01-14-2023, 10:20 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: If any Woodneter is passing by Nashua, you have an open invitation to stop by for coffee. I have had one or two including Arlin. There is room on my air filter.
Tom

Tom:  I also had the opportunity to meet Norm, at a Woodworking Shows event in NJ; I brought my copies of his books and had him autograph them, and yes, a very nice person, got to chat with him for a while as I was last in line at the time.  I also have met and chatted with Frank several times, first time at another Woodworking Shows where he was setting up a demonstration, again at a Lie Nielsen event held at his shop in Pluckamin NJ, where he gave me a tour of his plumb bob collection that he had displayed in his shop, and several more times at Crafts of NJ auctions and tailgating events, where he was forever searching out new plumb bobs.  A real gentleman.

I also had the opportunity to meet and talk with Sam Maloof quite by chance.  I was living in Charlotte NC at the time (1998-99 or so) , and he was giving a talk at UNC Charlotte's design school and I made it my business to go hear what he had to say.  I showed up about an hour early to make sure I got a seat, nobody was there yet, and in walks Sam and he sits down on a bench outside of the lecture hall.   So I sat down as well, and we began to talk for over 1/2 hour.  Wonderful man.  I went and poached one of the several paper posters advertising his lecture and he graciously signed it.  I must remember to build a frame for it someday.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I sure miss Norm's show, I wish someone would develop a replacement that's just as good (no disrespect to the Woodsmith shop program). Funny, I'm not a big hand tool person but I miss Roy Underhill just as much. I found him to be quite entertaining, but his explanations were quite useful in understanding tool design and use.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-14-2023, 11:07 AM)Admiral Wrote: Tom:  I also had the opportunity to meet Norm, at a Woodworking Shows event in NJ; I brought my copies of his books and had him autograph them, and yes, a very nice person, got to chat with him for a while as I was last in line at the time.  I also have met and chatted with Frank several times, first time at another Woodworking Shows where he was setting up a demonstration, again at a Lie Nielsen event held at his shop in Pluckamin NJ, where he gave me a tour of his plumb bob collection that he had displayed in his shop, and several more times at Crafts of NJ auctions and tailgating events, where he was forever searching out new plumb bobs.  A real gentleman.

I also had the opportunity to meet and talk with Sam Maloof quite by chance.  I was living in Charlotte NC at the time (1998-99 or so) , and he was giving a talk at UNC Charlotte's design school and I made it my business to go hear what he had to say.  I showed up about an hour early to make sure I got a seat, nobody was there yet, and in walks Sam and he sits down on a bench outside of the lecture hall.   So I sat down as well, and we began to talk for over 1/2 hour.  Wonderful man.  I went and poached one of the several paper posters advertising his lecture and he graciously signed it.  I must remember to build a frame for it someday.

I know you know it but, the plane I sent Frank, I bought from you for $17.  I Would love to speak to Frank personally, but there is not to much chance if him getting anywhere close to Iowa. Both Frank and I served a 4 year apprenticeship. I was actually indentured. I love his attitude which is, don't take about it do it.  I spoke to Roy Underhill shortly at a Hand Works show in Amana IA. I believe that my wife may even have a picture if the three of us, but he is not on my air filter.

Tom
That was cool. The place (including the tools) haven't changed. 

What stuck me as I was watching it, was how it was just a shop first that they were filming in. No soundproofing, no special lights, just a guy (Norm) working in the shop and you were there with him. 

The more and more I watch the guys today on YouTube, and the shows on (with the exception of Underhill....but hes from the Norm era) everything is about the production first. The woodworking is fine, but the idea of I'm just in a shop watching isn't there. Its the difference between going to dinner and having a mass produced meal in a cafeteria versus sitting in the home kitchen of the chef that is personally making the meal for you as you watch. 

These guys were special. 

Im thankful they put the videos on YouTube for everyone to enjoy. 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

The workbench has been moved to the backside of the tablesaw. Norm made it point that he built the workbench more or less the same height as the tablesaw's so he could use the workbench to support a 4x8 sheet like an infeed table.

Russ has aged just like Norm and any of us but his interest in woodworking seems to have remained good. At least, even if not building something new, he still has the shop, some pieces Norm has built and his house to maintain or work on.

Simon
(01-14-2023, 06:45 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The workbench has been moved to the backside of the tablesaw. Norm made it point that he built the workbench more or less the same height as the tablesaw's so he could use the workbench to support a 4x8 sheet like an infeed table.

Russ has aged just like Norm and any of us but his interest in woodworking seems to have remained good. At least, even if not building something new, he still has the shop, some pieces Norm has built and his house to maintain or work on.

Simon

Simon, you made a very interesting observation about the workbench. Although I did not see the episode about Norm building the bench I do think what Norm did in matching heights was a great idea. It is something every one should consider for maximizing the use of floor space in a limited area.  Anyway, great catch.

Tom