Prefinished plywood as backsplash
[Image: 20230324-191604.jpg]
[Image: 20230324-191817.jpg]
I used 1/2" prefinished plywood for the backs of the cabinets in this project. Those were 36", and two of the larger cabinets were 72" and 76" wide. This meant that I had odd-sized full-length (8') pieces that were about 12" wide. Not really being sure what I would do with those, as they're too small for shelves (though I'm sure I would have found a use eventually), I thought I could use them for the "backsplash" in the 5" space between the countertop and the bar top (presently being worked). I did not want to deal with tile in that space, as that would not match the "actual" backsplash (and I'm not rip cutting that much tile). So I measured and cut them down with the tracksaw, attached them using pocket holes drilled in the stud wall for the bar top, masked the countertop, and put down a bead of silicone.

It seems to be very easy for a backsplash, and given its solvent resistance and UV finish it would probably be very easy to clean and use as an actual kitchen backsplash. I imagine that's far too chintzy for most people, but I could certainly see its utility.
All I see in that pic is the absolutely gorgeous wood of the countertop. Seriously, it looks good....and that finish (prefinished ply) is pretty indestructible. Well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-26-2023, 05:49 AM)fredhargis Wrote: All I see in that pic is the absolutely gorgeous wood of the countertop. Seriously, it looks good....and that finish (prefinished ply) is pretty indestructible. Well done!

Yupp...What Fred said above...gorgeous!
Thanks. I like it too, but I'm biased because sapele is my favorite wood by far.

As I thought about it more, I realize that the cost per square foot isn't the best. At 1/2", I think I paid around $90 per sheet. So that's about $2.80 per square foot, and doesn't account for waste. No way to joint or anything like that. Hard to fasten. It is really *only* good for this type of application - long pieces that can be fastened from behind. I mean the wall tile was only about $1 per square foot. I know you need spacers, some work to cut and prep, adhesive, and so on, but it's not really an ideal solution compared to traditional backsplashes. I guess the $1 per square foot tile is an outlier (the self-checkout attendant at Home Depot thought it had rung up incorrectly, since the entire box was $16 and you can pay that per square foot for some tile).
In your case it is exceptionally affordable, being that it is waste from another project...Well done...
That area shouldn't see daily heavy use like a kitchen would so I think it'll be fine. You wouldn't want anything too involved or ornate to take the eye away from that absolutely gorgeous counter.
(03-27-2023, 10:58 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: That area shouldn't see daily heavy use like a kitchen would so I think it'll be fine. You wouldn't want anything too involved or ornate to take the eye away from that absolutely gorgeous counter.
That is a good use of excess material , will last a long time . What will you finish the top with ? Gary
The counter top was finished with multiple coats of Polyx gloss. The bar top will also be finished the same way.
Looks good to me. Should be durable if not used as a dart board.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That's beautiful! Well done!