Blum for full inset face frame cabinets?
I have some existing cabinets that have overlay doors that my wife and I want to replace with full inset doors.

The face frame is already in place, so I’d like to mount a European hinge to the back of face frame.

Anybody have a good source that they like to order good quality hinges from?
(04-06-2023, 04:00 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have some existing cabinets that have overlay doors that my wife and I want to replace with full inset doors.

The face frame is already in place, so I’d like to mount a European hinge to the back of face frame.

Anybody have a good source that they like to order good quality hinges from?

Woodworker's Hardware is a good source.  Best to go to Blum's website first to determine which hinges and mounting plates are needed.  I've used the adapters that attach to the back of the face frame.  Not impressed as the face frame tends to flex.  It works, but it feels cheesy to me.  I much prefer to pad out the inside of the cabinet behind the face frame, and use a hinge designed for frameless cabinets.  

John
I used these guys for hinges and slides. https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/?gclid...gI0vvD_BwE

Highly recommend
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
AH Turf has good pricing on Blum also.

Ed
(04-06-2023, 07:53 PM)museumguy Wrote: I used these guys for hinges and slides.  https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/?gclid...gI0vvD_BwE

Highly recommend

The problem I keep running into, is the modular nature of many of the euro hinges, where you order the hinge and mounting plate separately. 
I search up what I think is the hinge I need, then can’t find the right baseplate, or think maybe I’ve found the right one, but then the web sight says they aren’t compatible.

Even Blum website hasn’t been very helpful in finding to correct combination

I may be better off finding someone that sells them already paired, even if I have to pay a bit more. 

Thanks
Duke
I have bought Blum inset hinges complete set (2) hinges and mounting plates from Lee Valley.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
 "I much prefer to pad out the inside of the cabinet behind the face frame, and use a hinge designed for frameless cabinets."

John

I agree.  It does take extra time, but I like the result.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(04-07-2023, 07:10 AM)Bill Holt Wrote:  "I much prefer to pad out the inside of the cabinet behind the face frame, and use a hinge designed for frameless cabinets."

John

Yup.

I used the Blum hinges that installed on the back of the faceframe on my kitchen cabinets. More challenging to install (with narrow cabinets you're drilling and screwing blindly) and base plate screws seem to loosen with use.
(04-07-2023, 07:10 AM)Bill Holt Wrote:  "I much prefer to pad out the inside of the cabinet behind the face frame, and use a hinge designed for frameless cabinets."

John

I was considering doing this just because it seems to me 3/4” face frames may not have enough stability to support soft close hinges if someone decided to push the door closed.
(04-06-2023, 09:50 PM)EdL Wrote: AH Turf has good pricing on Blum also.

Ed

Ah turf is a great example of quite a wide selection, but trying to figure out what fits my application is almost impossible from their sight. 

Full crank, half crank etc what do I need for full inset, is the crank terminology even used on blums sight which isn’t much help either…