Panels out of parallel?
I used my Festool track saw to break down some plywood for cabinet panels. Of course, my cuts were a bit out of square. (I used my big Woodpecker square to try to square up the track, but it never works well enough. I guess I need to invest in one of those square guides?)
What’s the best way to get the panels into square? I don’t have a crosscut sled yet, and I doubt it would have enough capacity for the panel width. I’m pretty sure the TS wouldn’t do it. I used the track saw again, and got it pretty close. But I feel like I’m forgetting something.

(04-09-2023, 07:25 AM)David Stone Wrote: I used my Festool track saw to break down some plywood for cabinet panels.  Of course, my cuts were a bit out of square.  (I used my big Woodpecker square to try to square up the track, but it never works well enough.  I guess I need to invest in one of those square guides?)
What’s the best way to get the panels into square?  I don’t have a crosscut sled yet, and I doubt it would have enough capacity for the panel width.  I’m pretty sure the TS wouldn’t do it.  I used the track saw again, and got it pretty close.  But I feel like I’m forgetting something.

Are either of your panel’s two sides parallel ?
You can't beat a table saw and crosscut sled, so I'd make one.  I built this one from a half sheet of 1/2" plywood.  It will cut off panels up to about 40" wide.  

[Image: AMWts8BlEoGtz63OHIfdtHJ_Aus5qzsGoHiNN7_s...authuser=1]

It's a 1/2 day job that you'll be happy you took the time to do.  Perfect 90 deg angles every time.    

John
(04-09-2023, 07:25 AM)David Stone Wrote:  I don’t have a crosscut sled yet, and I doubt it would have enough capacity for the panel width.  . . . . . . 

I built a crosscut sled perhaps 25 years ago, three pieces, 3'x3' piece of cab grade plywood, fence on top, runner on bottom, back end left open and I've squared up fairly big panels on it.  Still dead balls accurate.  I only use for 90 deg cuts and it's not failed me yet; perhaps I've been lucky.  Sometimes simple is pretty good.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-09-2023, 07:25 AM)David Stone Wrote: I used my Festool track saw to break down some plywood for cabinet panels. Of course, my cuts were a bit out of square. (I used my big Woodpecker square to try to square up the track, but it never works well enough. I guess I need to invest in one of those square guides?)
What’s the best way to get the panels into square? I don’t have a crosscut sled yet, and I doubt it would have enough capacity for the panel width. I’m pretty sure the TS wouldn’t do it. I used the track saw again, and got it pretty close. But I feel like I’m forgetting something.
I use the Festool miter attachment but you really have to dial it in with some test cuts and even then, in my hands, its difficult to get perfect cuts. . I haven't tried other brands of miter attachments. If you're not using parallel guides, that makes it a lot harder to get accurate cuts.

Like you, I use a track saw only for breaking down partes. I do the final rips on the table saw. Then I go back and do the cross cuts using a panel sled.

You really need a top notch set up to cut panels with a track saw. I think an MFT with a hinged track is really the best way
I made a plywood rip guide for my Porter Cable circular saw before there was Festool.
I measure and mark two to four spots and align the guide edge with those marks.
I clamp and cut.
It’s never a problem.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
It seems to me if you are using the tracksaw to rip a lot of long lengths of plywood a pair of parallel track guides would be a good purchase and be better than a track square.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I had a little extra money this month, so I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a second track to rip full sheets and the parallel guides. A cross cut sled is on my list. (I’m just setting up my shop after taking a few years off from the hobby. I had a pretty good sled, but I think I gave it to a friend.)

(04-11-2023, 06:14 AM)David Stone Wrote: I had a little extra money this month, so I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a second track to rip full sheets and the parallel guides. A cross cut sled is on my list. (I’m just setting up my shop after taking a few years off from the hobby. I had a pretty good sled, but I think I gave it to a friend.)
(04-11-2023, 06:14 AM)David Stone Wrote: I had a little extra money this month, so I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a second track to rip full sheets and the parallel guides.  A cross cut sled is on my list.  (I’m just setting up my shop after taking a few years off from the hobby.  I had a pretty good sled, but I think I gave it to a friend.)

Let me try this again.  Am thinking of making a cross-cut sled for all of the good reasons listed.  I have read many methods on how to make one, but I would be interested if someone has a (as close as possible) fool-proof method for making sure it cuts at exactly 90 degrees when completed.  Thank you as always...F