Cutting Board how to seal
my wife and I recently moved into our dream home and my buddy who was our mortgage broker and he had a custom cutting board made for us and its incredible.  I have attached a pic of it. We want to display it above our range area and I was curious about what type of sealer would be good on this wood to help seal it from moisture and from twisting etc.  We won't be using it as a cutting board as its too nice and I don't want to ruin it.  lol!  thanks in advance!

Johnny

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like bamboo.  If you don't plan to cut on it you can use anything.  If you like want to keep that natural color then spray lacquer or waterborne finish are good choices.  Osmo and Rubio Monocoat would give you a natural look, too, if you use the Pure.  If you are looking for a little ambering then use any solvent based varnish you want.  

John
I use mineral oil on mine.
(04-11-2023, 03:34 PM)GNP Wrote: I use mineral oil on mine.

Same here.  It's cheap (buy it at a drug store) and works just fine.  I probably have a half dozen cutting boards and chopping blocks that I use it on.

I would not use any kind of film finish unless this will be a wall decoration and not used for charcuterie.  Even slicing soft cheese would risk damaging that finish.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
Marcus Aurelius 
(04-11-2023, 05:33 PM)Blaine Wrote: Thanks buddy!!

Same here.  It's cheap (buy it at a drug store) and works just fine.  I probably have a half dozen cutting boards and chopping blocks that I use it on.

I would not use any kind of film finish unless this will be a wall decoration and not used for charcuterie.  Even slicing soft cheese would risk damaging that finish.
(04-11-2023, 03:34 PM)GNP Wrote: I use mineral oil on mine.

Just regular mineral oil like I find at Walgreens or CVS?  thats easy.  or is it a special mineral oil for cutting boards.
(04-11-2023, 02:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Looks like bamboo.  If you don't plan to cut on it you can use anything.  If you like want to keep that natural color then spray lacquer or waterborne finish are good choices.  Osmo and Rubio Monocoat would give you a natural look, too, if you use the Pure.  If you are looking for a little ambering then use any solvent based varnish you want.  

John

Thank you.  No we do not plan to cut on it at all.  I think a spray lacquer might be the way to go and easy too.
(04-11-2023, 05:52 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: Just regular mineral oil like I find at Walgreens or CVS?  thats easy.  or is it a special mineral oil for cutting boards.

Yeah, nothing special about food grade mineral oil.  The idea with mineral oil is that it's food safe, doesn't matter if you serve up food up the board, but it doesn't oxidise and possibly go rancid like vegetable oils can over time, If you need to wash the board, just do that under hot water and wipe a bit more oil over it if needed. 

It's also an option to add a bit of paraffin or beeswax in with with the oil. (melt them together in a double boiler to make a paste) That gives a more durable finish if the board is getting regular use and washing. 

But if you wipe it down with regular chemist shop mineral oil it will be fine.  The wood will soak up the oil, so it might need a couple of coats.
A number of years ago Americas Test Kitchen tried various finishes on cutting boards. The one that beat them all was Spoon Butter. This is a link that shows you how to make your own; https://creative-culinary.com/wood-butter/
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
I do the DIY version of the spoon/wood butter as posted above, along with straight mineral oil on occasion...