Spalted maple burl
(07-06-2023, 04:34 PM)R Clark Wrote: It's funny what an individual's eyes are drawn to in "abstract" designs.  I can see the tiger pointed out, but not seeing "Satan."  

As for me, the first thing I was reminded of was the Russian Eagle symbol like this:

Yeah, I could probably make Dr. Warshak cry! Here is where I saw Satan:

This would make great panels for a pair of Krenov style cabinet doors.

I have some spalted panels I’ve been saving a while.
They’re interesting but not as incredible as yours.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
When we bought our small farm in VA nearly thirty years ago, we bought a silver maple from one of those mailers.  A thin stick about a foot long arrived and we planted it.  It grew to forty feet.  A couple years before we sold the farm and moved, bugs and a woodpecker killed the maple and I dropped it, planning to cut it for firewood, until I split the first piece and saw the spalting.  I cut them all at 18" and set them aside to dry, then sliced them on my bandsaw mill.  I have been using the spalted maple for the last ten years or so to make boxes, knives and such.  I correct issues by filling gaps with fine sawdust saved from shaping, and then injecting Satellite city Special T glue.  

https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-City-CA...82196&th=1

It comes in Thin, Medium, and Thick to fill gaps.  Sanded smooth you don't see the cracks.

Here is a spalted maple and mahogany box as an example:

Here is just one of the many knives I have done with the maple scales.  the brass bolster was shaped from barstock.
The leather sheath and carving is mine as well.  Still learning.  Thanks YouTube.  
Big Grin

One more knife project... maple tanto...

I still have a lot of the matched slices and use it often for box tops or knife scales.... Golden Oak stain makes the contrast POP.  
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.