Will Cypress Withstand Ground Contact?
Dennis, seems like this has went on forever...whatcha gonna do?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Still haven't decided. Still a little cool here to get me very excited about gardening.

I'm cruising marketplace hoping a cheap option shows itself. Had a line on some used treated 2 x 8 x 10 boards, but turns out the son (who lives local to me) was listing them for his Dad (who lives over an hour away), so I became less interested.
Little late to the party, but NO cypress will not resist ground contact.

We used left over composite deck boards for raised beds and they work great.
(04-23-2023, 05:46 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Little late to the party, but NO cypress will not resist ground contact.
We used left over composite deck boards for raised beds and they work great.

Curious why you state this—the Cypress Adirondack Chair I built in 2015 has been sitting outside on pavers and/or concrete in the Florida weather since 2015 with no damage.

Good cypress will last for years.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Not sure about ground contact but I built 4 Adirondack Chairs way back in 2006. They've been in the elements all these years, basically with minimum protection. (OK, every 5-6 years I would hit them with a coat of timber oil).  After all these years outside, they are still in good shape.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
(04-23-2023, 10:23 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Curious why you state this—the Cypress Adirondack Chair I built in 2015 has been sitting outside on pavers and/or concrete in the Florida weather since 2015 with no damage.

Good cypress will last for years.
We're talking about ground contact. Take those pavers away and get back to us in a few years. Yes, cypress holds up well especially in a vertical orientation.

It can be attacked by boring insects so its best to seal it.