Got a clever way of storing your driver bits?
Hi,

I keep mine in a small metal can...every time I need a bit I pour them out, find the bit I need and scoop the rest back into the can....not too efficient.  I'm at a bit of a lull, woodworking-wise, so I thought I'd try to come up with a piece out of wood that'll hold them.  Have you built something you could share?  Since the bits themselves are 6-sided I can't simply drill holes in a block of wood........ unless there's been a 6-sided drill bit invention I don't know about. 
Smile   Here are my parameters:

1) Cheap.  I would like to use scrap wood

2) I'd rather not invest in magnets to hold them in the holder, but I need a way for them to not fall out of the holder is flipped/knocked over.

3) I realize that I could probably buy something, but I'm a cheap SOB so I'd like to make something.

I figure I've got 20-30 bits, but I'd like room for expansion.

Got any ideas?   (I have perused YT, but nothing really struck my fancy so far).

Thanks!
Dumber than I appear
a strip of 1" stock that's screwed to the front of a cabinet door above the bench with a row of slightly oversize 1/4 holes that are drilled  only deep enough to hold the driver bit but all the way through. Depth of the 1" stock varies according to the shank length of the bits to be held.
One 18" magnetic tool holder strip from Harbor Freight is less than $5 . . . and will hold a bunch of 1/4" hex drive bits.

Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Probably a bit of overkill but I built this after I got sick of rummaging through a drawer looking for drivers, vix bits, countersinks, etc. I added a few slots to keep some layout tools also, it works well as I can move it to my assembly table when setting hardware. Made with off cuts and a little 3d printing for the trays.

(05-30-2023, 10:17 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

I keep mine in a small metal can...every time I need a bit I pour them out, find the bit I need and scoop the rest back into the can....not too efficient.  I'm at a bit of a lull, woodworking-wise, so I thought I'd try to come up with a piece out of wood that'll hold them.  Have you built something you could share?  Since the bits themselves are 6-sided I can't simply drill holes in a block of wood........ unless there's been a 6-sided drill bit invention I don't know about. 
Smile   Here are my parameters:

1) Cheap.  I would like to use scrap wood

2) I'd rather not invest in magnets to hold them in the holder, but I need a way for them to not fall out of the holder is flipped/knocked over.

3) I realize that I could probably buy something, but I'm a cheap SOB so I'd like to make something.

I figure I've got 20-30 bits, but I'd like room for expansion.

Got any ideas?   (I have perused YT, but nothing really struck my fancy so far).

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Bug 
(05-30-2023, 10:45 AM)thewalnutguy Wrote: a strip of 1" stock that's screwed to the front of a cabinet door above the bench with a row of slightly oversize 1/4 holes that are drilled  only deep enough to hold the driver bit but all the way through. Depth of the 1" stock varies according to the shank length of the bits to be held.

Basically this ^^^^^

1x12x3' with a 2" block on each end to raise it up off the wall cabinet it sits on.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I just searched for a photo of my favorite bit holders; found this https://www.harborfreight.com/security-b...68459.html  Some times these holders can be found at dollar stores and the like and have slotted and phillips bits that aren't worth much but the holders are great. The bits stay in place 'til you need them, even in my tool pouch or bouncing around in the cordless tool bag. I do have a couple of the yellow plastic DeWalt boxes the bits came in to store extras (I start by throwing away the black organizers that come inside), but my go to is one of these blocks with a good assortment of phillips, torx, and square drive bits along with a 1/4" and 5/16" nut driver. This covers most of what I'll run into on any given project. There's usually two in the bag and one in my pouch.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
If you don't like the oversized hole in a piece of wood because bits can fall out (not a problem for everyone), you could add a bit of caulk to each hole, and then put in a waxed bit.
(05-31-2023, 02:29 PM)Alan S Wrote: If you don't like the oversized hole in a piece of wood because bits can fall out (not a problem for everyone), you could add a bit of caulk to each hole, and then put in a waxed bit.

https://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/12...469__3.jpg

I have a couple of these, they aren’t strong enough to hold the bits if they are stuck to a vertical surface but they work sitting flat on a horizontal surface .
The plastic magnetic tape is pretty cheap.

You could do a dado for the magnetic tape lined up with through-holes for the bits. Make the holes loose but not super sloppy. Use board thickness thin enough to give you enough bit sticking up to get your fingers on.

If you want different length bits in the same board, you can cut the dadoes to an appropriate depth for different bit lengths (one bit length per row of holder).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
https://www.amazon.com/GRIP-Magnetic-Bit...B01BWO2PMS

Love this thing.   fits into my toolbox drawer with all my other drill accessories, but is easy to take with me when I'm on the go.  The magnet keeps all the driver bits from falling out.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13