Speed Square Recommendation?
Greetings. I’m looking for a speed square and don’t want to pay Woodpecker prices. Any recommendations for one that’s precise but a reasonable price?

Well, precision and speed square are not particularly compatible terms as they are meant for construction/framing work that will absorb a large tolerance for error. I see WPecker claims 0.004 accuracy, and for the $100 or so they want you can buy a new Starrett combination square so I see your hesitation. That being said, I bought a Swanson many years ago and just flip checked it for square on some 1x pine in the store and it was pretty much spot on. Been using it ever since. If you really need precision, use a good combination square.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-01-2023, 08:57 AM)Admiral Wrote: Well, precision and speed square are not particularly compatible terms as they are meant for construction/framing work that will absorb a large tolerance for error.  I see WPecker claims 0.004 accuracy, and for the $100 or so they want you can buy a new Starrett combination square so I see your hesitation.  That being said, I bought a Swanson many years ago and just flip checked it for square on some 1x pine in the store and it was pretty much spot on.  Been using it ever since.  If you really need precision, use a good combination square.

I agree. I have both a speed square and a pretty good quality (Lufkin) 4" double square. 98% of the time, I grab the double square. It is much more useful for furniture making.
Yes, Swanson for construction.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-01-2023, 08:57 AM)Admiral Wrote: Well, precision and speed square are not particularly compatible terms as they are meant for construction/framing work that will absorb a large tolerance for error.  I see WPecker claims 0.004 accuracy, and for the $100 or so they want you can buy a new Starrett combination square so I see your hesitation.  That being said, I bought a Swanson many years ago and just flip checked it for square on some 1x pine in the store and it was pretty much spot on.  Been using it ever since.  If you really need precision, use a good combination square.

I second the Swanson. I've had their 6" model for years now and it's my "go-to" for small tasks. I'm fortunate to have inherited a couple of very nice Starretts that were my dad's when I need a larger one.

Quick story - Not long after I purchased the Swanson I discovered the scribe was missing (I had lost it). Called Swanson and reached a very nice CS lady. Offered to buy a new one and she volunteered to send one out free of charge. Never forgot it. "People buy from people they like" - never changes.

I'm with Admiral, use my HD aluminum speed square for construction type projects. Prefer the one WITHOUT the pivoting recess.

Doug
I have a nice set of Milwaukee USA made, 4" & 6". Got them at HD for like 12 bux at X-mas time.

Ed
Did you check BangGood? They have multiple options that all look pretty good.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/ledge...re-8-kapro

I picked one of these up on a whim when I was last in woodcraft.  It is not a high-quality square like woodpeckers or Starrett, but it has some handy features, and I was looking to try out an 8" square.

for the work I do, that seems to be a bit of a goldilocks size.  I have a 4" double square, 6" and 12".  the 4 and 6 are too small for much of what I'm doing, and the 12 doesn't carry well in my apron.

Just make sure that you check it for square in the store.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
PEC has good squares. I don't know if they have speed squares.  They often have the blemished ones on sale cheap.  I have a set of the discards and blemishes are hardly noticeable. 

Aside from that, I also have the Swanson and Milwaukee speed squares. Both are great. They seem to be equally accurate.
My Swanson is as accurate as any square I have.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood