Attic Insulation
My house has a ventilated attic.  There is insulation, installed in the mid 1960s, but only thin fiberglass batts covered with kraft paper.  it is not even close to being as think as the joists.  I would prefer to avoid adding blown-in insulation.  Could additional mineral wool or fiber glass batts be placed on the existing kraft paper faced fiberglass batts?  If "yes," should the new insulation be faced or unfaced?
Quote:I would prefer to avoid adding blown-in insulation
any particular reason why ?

As to whether you should use faced or unfaced depends on your location.
Yeah, I’d just add cellulose to get a bit of air sealing along with R value. Air sealing will do more to stop the heat leaving than just adding insulation. A haphazard job will leave you disappointed. Which side is the Kraft facing on? Your wording makes me think it’s on top?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I would get in insulation company to take a look.

I learned a long time ago in the long run it's cheaper to hire it done. Don't know about today, but used to be they could do it for a little more than you could buy it for.

That said, we added insulation to our attic and used the stuff that comes covered in plastic in rolls. Left the old stuff there.

If I ever thought it would pay, I'd have everything removed and spray foam against the roof.
Usually the old craft facing is shot. You could just add craft faced, paper down over the old stuff. That being said, blown in will provide better insulation. Out of curiosity... what kind of ventilation do you have in the attic.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Insulation vacuums make insulation removal a less horrible job.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy