Sprinkler System Vacuum Breakers
Now that I have cut in the line that will feed the sprinkler system I ordered a vacuum breaker.  It includes unions.  However, my original plan was to buy 3 identical unions.  I would put 1 on each side of the vacuum breaker but reverse them. I could then remove the vacuum breaker and use each half of the 3rd to blow the line out, cap the line, etc.  am I over thinking this?  Is there a reason the vacuum breaker can't stay on in the winter so long as the line is drained?

I’ve only had a sprinkler system on one house (the current one), but I’ve never seen anything about removing the vacuum breaker when winterizing. I’ve got a drain plug below it and an air fitting nearby to blow out the system.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(06-22-2023, 09:56 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: I’ve only had a sprinkler system on one house (the current one), but I’ve never seen anything about removing the vacuum breaker when winterizing. I’ve got a drain plug below it and an air fitting nearby to blow out the system.

Thanks.  where is the drain plug?  Is it above ground or in a valve box?  I have a plug that could be used as a drain but it is in a valve box below ground level.

Drain plug is above ground…it’s part of the assembly where the vacuum breaker is.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(06-22-2023, 11:15 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Now that I have cut in the line that will feed the sprinkler system I ordered a vacuum breaker.  It includes unions.  However, my original plan was to buy 3 identical unions.  I would put 1 on each side of the vacuum breaker but reverse them. I could then remove the vacuum breaker and use each half of the 3rd to blow the line out, cap the line, etc.  am I over thinking this?  Is there a reason the vacuum breaker can't stay on in the winter so long as the line is drained?

What vacuum breaker did you order?
VH07V  
(06-24-2023, 12:22 AM)EightFingers Wrote: What vacuum breaker did you order?

Amazon.com : Toro 53300 1-Inch Sprinkler System Pressure Vacuum Breaker : Lawn And Garden Sprinklers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

(06-23-2023, 09:27 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Drain plug is above ground…it’s part of the assembly where the vacuum breaker is.

ok thanks.